View Single Post
Old 20-10-2016, 00:30
Winterlover

The title screen has the extra full stop... who knew!

I really enjoyed it as well, probably the first time i've seen live footage of them that has captured the energy of their gigs (or at least come as close as possible) and i would put that down to the audience being an integral part of it. There seemed to be as much footage of them as of the band and there are some great reaction shots in there, you think - "yes, that's exactly how it feels". It felt intimate as well which i liked and cutting in the audience when james let them sing was a great choice. I liked the closeups of sean through the drum kit, he's like a machine. Made me kinda regret not going to any of those shows, it felt like a celebration. Also sounded superb, i'd like the whole film but i'd be happy with just the audio.

The chat with kieran evans afterwards was very interesting as well, i had no idea he was at one of the astoria gigs in 94. Can't imagine what it must feel like to have been a fan to now be making their films. Some good questions but what was that idiot at the back on about? He had a bee in his bonnet about something but for the life of me i couldn't work out what.

The 3 music videos he made for rewind the film were shown in chronological order under the title stories of the valley which was an unusual choice coming before the fire and brimstone of thb but they did look great on the big screen with those stunning time lapses of the rhondda. It is effective if taken on its own as a little trilogy of stories though, showing the valleys in it's prime, during the mining crisis and the present with its dilapidated social clubs and a couple of relics of the pits that are now museum pieces. It was quite moving.

Quote:
Apparently he shot the footage at 10 shows?
Yeah, that's what i heard him say when asked by price. Surprised me that, it did a good job of seeming like one date.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 14-04-2017 at 18:33.