View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 19:06
Bored out of my mind

I mostly enjoyed this one, although some utter drunk knob who arrived behind us from about Motorcycle Emptiness onwards kind of pulled me out of the moment. He was overly aggressive jumping and stumbling around all over the place, continuously shouting for You Love Us and Motown Junk and after La Tristesse he was shouting in my ear “That was La Tristesse!!!” as if everyone in the venue didn’t know. But the real final straw was him shouting something like “He’s dead, he’s gone!” about Richey when James was talking about using one of Richey’s old guitars. Bear in mind I was in the centre of the barrier directly in front of James and this guy was behind me and my husband. James heard him and looked less than impressed and said something about the guy getting overexcited. I mean...urgh. Why would you do that? Just fuck off. You’re not funny or clever.

The venue was nice inside, but is in the arse end of nowhere compared to the city centre, so not the most convenient to get to. The venue staff were very lax letting everyone in as well. They didn’t let standing in until after the balcony and think it was about 7:20pm by the the time we got in, so no wonder those towards the back of the standing queue missed some of Gwenno. Some of the ticket scanners weren’t working too and wristbands seemed to be an afterthought when we got inside. So not the most organised entry I’ve ever experienced.

As for the gig itself...apart from the aforementioned knob, the crowd were mostly decent. SYMM felt particularly poignant too. One thing I’ve noticed on this tour though, is that because a large chunk of Truth is quite introspective and calm, it makes everyone kick off even more in the second half of the set, particularly Motorcycle Emptiness and You Love Us. There’s been a sudden surge to the second row of boozed up blokes around this section of the set, who can’t seem to control their moshing or flailing arms. Obviously you expect some pushing and jumping around etc. and that’s fine, but it’s tipped over into being disruptive and annoying for those around them on more than one occasion. At least in a usual setlist, they can spread the crowd favourites out a bit more.

Also, sorry but Sweet Child O’ Mine is a waste of a song to me, as was Umbrella. Their second half choices are limited on this tour purely because it’s an album gig, so I would rather they had stayed away from cover versions tbh.

Edited to add, I couldn’t stop laughing at James’ story about when he and Sean were young, Sean took apart James’ keyboard to make it sound more like Kraftwerk and James asked Sean if he was able to put it back together and Sean was like “No, it’s fucked” and they had to throw it away. I think this gig was the closest I’ve ever been to Sean and I could see him pissing himself laughing and turning and nodding to the rest of the band/crew to say “It’s true”

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 01-06-2019 at 19:55.