View Single Post
Old 18-03-2018, 09:14
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
To be fair, it's really just a kind of sonic texture that adds to the song, but take it away and the song's chords, melody, structure lyrics all remain ...

It's certainly less 'beholden' than the title track of the album is to David Axelrod's 'A Little Girl Lost', I think.
(For some reason, I didn't see your reply yesterday when I replied myself with the same information. Don't know what happened there.)

Yes, I agree with all this. It's a striking, lovely 'sonic texture' (good description, by the way), and I personally don't have a problem with them building the song around it, or adding it to the song after (I don't know which came first). As I said, Tokyo Skyline is one of my favourite tracks on RTF, and one of my favourite Manics songs of the last ten years. It's beautiful. Sounds like a bright morning.

Little Girl Lost, of course, is one of the best SATT b-sides too. Wasn't aware of the Axelrod connection, but it's clear from its usage as a b-side inspiration that Nicky had been mulling Axelrod's stuff for a good few years before RTF.

The band have always drawn their inspiration from a wide range of sources - sometimes somewhat shamelessly - and finding the sources of that inspiration is one of the aspects I enjoy most about their new material.