View Single Post
Old 15-04-2019, 20:24
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
Round two

The book made me realize even more that the remaining members conducted themselves in a very respectful manner regarding Richey. Despite a few responses James said leaving me to believe he was in the anger stages of grief. I give him a pass as he is now always respectful to Richey and maintaining the band. They sent richey to hospital and visited every day, paid for his treatment, and gave him several options to decide ih should tour or not. I think they made the best decision to take Richey on the tour. They thought they were doing a good thing. On tour the band or crew looked after him. It would not be wise for him to go back to his apartment alone and maybe attempt again.

Having said that I guess I’ve been pretty naive about the band is the intense friction which may have lead him to quit. All I remember is Nicky saying he in December he began yo peak in his weirdness but seemed much better in January when they went to practice. Can anyone shed any more light on that or point me to article video about this.

I also keep thinking about the 2 weeks the car had been lived in. Did they take any fingerprints. I’ve said what I think and wonder if anyone will tell me their opinion.

I do some research on people’s breaking point. We all have one. For richey was it Bangkok, suicide attempt, just his mental state, his dog dying, last gig at the Astoria, something that happened in Jan, not being married or the 2 weeks spent with jo in the fall, dog dying, friend dying and manager. Perhaps it’s a combo but I believe he just snapped and could that have been prevented. Because one doesn’t typically happen when waking up thinking this will be my day. What do y’all think?
he seemed to be the type of character who had to be the best at everything he tried otherwise he wouldn't try at all.

i don't think that being a 'professional musician' when you can't really play your instrument would help your self esteem. there was a lot of bluster and bravado about that back in the early days but i can only imagine it got tiring for him especially when he compared himself with james. there must have been some resentment there?

from what i've read of the book and from the sky arts documentary it seems the band was pulling more towards an everything must go style record before he disappeared. the fault lines were there and already growing. i always assumed that EMG was inspired entirely by the disappearance. it seems the groundwork for the album was already there with no surface all feeling, elvis impersonator, kevin carter and small black flowers.

i can't imagine it was much fun for him at the end.

the band that he had helped grow and form was growing away from him.

he couldn't just sack the band and join Nine Inch Nails on a free transfer.

Last edited by Bonesy; 15-04-2019 at 20:32.