View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 20:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
No because his version of Richey doesn't align with the regular every day, saintly Joe they're trying to paint him as. He didn't have groupies, he had girlfriends! He didn't have mental illness, he had a social condition like Aspergers! He didn't believe in nothing, he was into conspiracy theories! Stories that perpetuate the "myth", whether true or not, don't fit their narrative.

Yep! Spot on! I was thinking the other day that we aren't likely to hear about his more salacious behavior towards women/teenage girls because there is no way in hell they’d go there (if they do, I'll be shocked!) which seems to me really disingenuous especially in the #metoo era.

Speaking of COR and SHR's opinions of Richey's fans and why there aren't more of them, her position really shows how out of touch she truly is with actual fans. I've been a Manics fan with a large appreciation for Richey in particular since I was 15 and I'm 41 now and not once in all those years was I ever called COR (at least not in a serious manner) or made to feel less of a fan for appreciating Richey Edwards. Not once! Most Manics fans love Richey! The only fan stigma associated which Richey was that whole COR period just before he went missing and for a few years after. I mean, if people object to your obsessive, delusional views on the man, that's not the same as being shamed or stigmatized for liking him. Maybe if she wasn't so hell bent on pushing fans away she might understand that.

It's designed to present a one-dimensional portrait of him with some crazy theories thrown in to make an otherwise meek book have some bite to it. I'm starting to think this book is more petty revenge than it is an attempt to reclaim him from the myth.

All of this is such a goddamn shame! This book could have really mattered to people with the right team working on it, but sadly the task of building his legacy has been handed over to someone so petty and selfish. Richey deserves better!
REAL TALK.

Admittedly we don’t know for sure that the book doesn’t cover these things but it seems extreeeeemely unlikely. And yet they are a big deal! They are important in terms of his mental state and personal struggles. He’s so contradictory and messed up on this stuff and yet... naaaah let’s talk about school reports and Aspergers and #conspiracy

As a later fan (discovered them Lifeblood era) I’ve never known CoR to be used as anything but tongue-in-cheek, a term of endearment almost. Like a fandom in-joke really. I get that it was very real and very scary once but as you say, that’s long gone. These days we just call a SHR a SHR, you know?

Weird, isn’t it, that we LUNATIC DELUSIONAL FANS!! are wanting to look at, accept and try and understand Richey as a full person, yet apparently we’re the ones perpetrating myths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
I'd be willing to bet she doesn't have it anymore. Either that or she didn't trust these two despite having his sister's backing. I don't buy the "she wants to keep her memories of Richey to herself" excuse. If that were true, why give them any of the personal letters he sent her?
I do wonder. Would it not have made more sense for his family, the band, anyone with some kind of archiving going on to have it? I would understand her both wanting and not wanting to keep it, but I really hope it wasn’t gotten rid of. Hopefully she just didn’t like the look of all this and gave as little as possible, which would be a sound move it seems...

Last edited by sofarsideways; 06-02-2019 at 21:09.