View Single Post
Old 18-05-2018, 21:17
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
They’ve released a crap video for what some thought was the album’s best chance at a hit that has currently failed to pass 40,000 views on YouTube, which is awful by any standards.

They’ve followed that up by playing a 22 year old song on their biggest TV appearance of the year along with a song that was playlisted on the radio back in 2017.

These are not things that deserve praise.
That's one way of looking at it.

The way I look at it they've release 3 excellent videos, the most recent of which is one of my favourite videos not just by Evans but covering the band's entire career. They also released 5 tracks as quasi-singles in an era where the traditional single doesn't really mean what it used to, done an extensive promotional campaign, and all that for a band on their 13th studio album (14th according to some, I'm looking at you Grauniad!) who stated eight years and three albums ago that Postcards From A Young Man was to be their "one last shot at mass communication" - so what, now we're meant to be surprised they don't release 6 singles on multiple physical formats and play all the other album tracks on TV?! It's not the 90s anymore. Even if they play songs from the 90s! Yeah, I realise I've undermined my own argument a bit there, what a shame, the paragraph was ok I thought...

Still, I can never really be mad at them playing A Design For Life. Even if I was surprised, like I said earlier. But yeah, I get that as uber-fans on an internet forum who have followed the band for decades (*suddenly feels very old*), we would have liked to have heard some tracks they haven't played like Sequels... or In Eternity etc. Maybe 'they' (indeterminate they) thought it acted as way to round off a night with numerous Welsh acts, playing the huge, Ivor Novello-winning hit on a muso show.

But I'm just happy my favourite band still making great music (and videos ) and appearing on TV at all.

Those are things that DO deserve praise, IMHO.

And I'm sure they weren't meaning to be disrespectful to the memory of Richey by having extra guitarists in slightly-too-advanced positions for some people's liking.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---