View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 14:48
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I admittedly like PFAYM and you say this in an encouraging manner, but PFAYM 2 (or SATT 3, rather) is the very last thing I wanted this band to do so this isn't really getting my hopes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I've had a full range of emotions listening to it. It's a nice album. PFAYM 2 with some occasional bursts of brilliance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The bit that appeared in the trailer is the most inspired piece of music out of all four songs so far and I love it, but it's a shame it's been surrounded by otherwise such a nothing of a song. And the "skie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ies" etc parts are just plain bad.

Really not confident about the album anymore, and that saddens me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I think you can definitely make a case for it being like SATT and PFAYM in some ways, but it has its own identity too, and I would argue there are, in keeping with the themes of the album, fragmented pieces of broken nods to all their previous work, both musically and lyrically.
I'd love to know what people mean on here with the PFAYM and SATT references. I think different people use them in different ways.

For me, for example, PFAYM means over the top production and sheen and weak songwriting/inspiration.

This new album is not PFAYM 2. Neither in sound nor content. I think there is a lot going on for the first listen, and it can be difficult to digest the nuances in the songs. But with more listens you can hear that it is solid lyrics powering thoughtful well crafted songs. The guitar sounds are lovely (the only guitar I don't like is Vivian and Sadness) and there are some nice riffs and solos. But truly this is an album of melody.

I am possibly the most critical of Manics fans so I don't say it lightly but it really is a fantastic album and has nothing to do with PFAYM.