View Single Post
Old 28-03-2016, 13:15
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
• Why they didn't include The Masses Against The Classes on the standard UK album still baffles me. It would have fitted tonally, KYE was hardly the most coherent conceptual piece anyway, and the song was a promotion-friendly no.1 hit single... And maybe I've answered my own question and they were so intent in doing a complete 180-turn on the commercial success of TIMTTMY they didn't want to include a already-established hit. Still, amongst the more crazy things they have done IMHO.

• Without outright disliking them I don't really get on that well with The Year of Purification or Royal Correspondent. I feel like the former is to R.E.M. what Autumnsong later became to Guns 'N Roses - an (IMHO) unsuccessful pastiche that for me lacked much of the emotional impact, or 'Manics rush' of most of their songs - it just sounded like them acting as another band to me. RC I just find a bit dull and whingey and I have grown to hate the line about food being chewed to a degree I can find no rational reasoning to express.
Some great thoughts there. I don't think Masses would have fit in the way it was recorded myself (rocky, but still quite glossy) in comparison to the KYE stuff. What I mean by that is they didn't deliberately rush it. It would need to have been more scratchy like Found that Soul I think. With a hasty re-record, however it could have gone on there with ease. Although that would mark another interesting diversion, re-recording something to make it sound less good!

I agree about TYOP. At the time I bloody loved it because it had a freshness about it, but like a sugar high it doesn't stand up on later listens. I still find RC bearable, but I think the overall mood suits it well, almost to the point of making up for the lyrical issues.