View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 21:50
Winterlover

I got into Generation Terrorists...then drifted...OK into a heavy metal phase, then grunge...then came The Holy Bible at just the right time...so Truth was along the road and I think for me I maybe had some expectation that it would be the album that might define them now Richey had left. Sure there was the brilliant Everything Must Go album but that was everything must go ... let's see The Truth (or something) and well I'd left university and felt a bit adrift ...I loved how successful it was, how If You Tolerate was so huge and Nicky so proud clearly and I really loved Tsunami about the 'silent twins' - a book I'd read not long before and had resonated so well with but for all the tracks I loved - Tsunami, You Stole the Sun...there were many that drifted...I was expecting it to be more political and provocative too I think with that title....
still unlike other bands they feel a bit like old friends, always there through good and the bad with no pretensions nor ego's (just lots of tongue in cheek) and I've realised you never really know what to expect from one album to the next except there's an honesty that runs through all they do and they're the only band I've clicked with that seem to have backgrounds not a million miles away from my own.....you don't need that to connect with a song of course not but they're always interesting in interviews and it's good to feel that connection....gave me the confidence to apply to university they did, to feel like it's actually OK to enjoy studying and to want to understand the world around you....to want to go to university

Never mastered punctuation however
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson