View Single Post
Old 20-05-2019, 08:27
I live to fall asleep

Back now home from the gig and London trip. Wanted to offer some further (random) thoughts post-gig.

1. I got standing tickets (thank you Andrew here on FD! Really appreciate it! And great to meet you!) but I wonder if seated tickets would be a more appropriate experience for this type of gig? As we all know, TIMT is a very introspective album, and I found myself getting lost in the melodies and melancholy in the middle parts of the album. It felt very weird standing in the middle of a crowd kind of there but not there not really moving but just lost in my memories of 1998/99 and hearing a lot of those songs for the first time in a long time...
2. ...but saying that it was wonderful to be in the crowd for the second half. Sleepflower was incredible.
3. Moving Tolerate to the end of the TIMT set was a great idea. Despite the importance of DFL for the band's history, I genuinely think Tolerate is their "best" song (whatever "best" means). The album section needs to end on that high.
4. I got really emotional during The Everlasting. Very weird. It's not even one of my favourites. Had to have a word with myself! Ha!
5. I'm Not Working was my 2nd unexpected fav from the TIMT set. Real 80s vibe. Fantastic.
6. My 1st unexpected fav was SYMM. I really noticed the change in sound when Jimbo got the white Les Paul out for SYMM. It really cut through. The solo was wonderful and loved Nicky on his knees (who wouldn't? Ha!) really digging the song.
7. Was great to see Jimbo get lost in it all and play Motorcycle when he should have played International Blue. He was really into it all night. His performance was AMAZING.
8. Was great to see Wire do a lot more backing vocals.

So, all in all, it was a great gig. Digging the TIMT t-shirt I got too.

But please. No more anniversary gigs now. Looking forward to hearing new music.