View Single Post
Old 17-11-2017, 12:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

All those surprised by the cassette are a bit out of touch, plenty of big releases have had tapes in recent years, even places like Urban Outfitters have been selling them. I had a big rant in another thread about how they've been appropriated from the underground tape scene which never really died, but there we go. Frankly, I'm happy at the selling price - one of the things that made them popular with a lot of DIY labels was being so cheap, so when you get Kanye West tapes retailing at £15 it makes a mockery of the whole thing. I'm sure it'll all die off and go back to being underground in the next few years anyway. Meantime, a few thousand people will have a shelf of Manics, Slowdive and Aphex Twin tapes for nostalgia purposes.

Resistance is Futile feels like such an overdone, well-worn phrase by now that it really doesn't stand out as an album title. Strange choice. The cover's ok, feels a bit later-Manics-by-numbers really, but nothing especially bad. Some of the snippets in the video sound nice, a couple of them sound worryingly PFAYM-ish. The contrast between the dark, creepy video and sound design with those clips is (probably unintentionally) hilarious though. Fuck knows what they're going for with that.

Six months is an absurdly long time for an announcement, so I agree that the album might well not be finished. The way a lot of the clips aren't especially clear in the video suggests they might be demos or whatever. It's a very strange way to do it. I like short waits rather than long ones, but at least we know that something's coming. It's been a long time!