View Single Post
Old 19-08-2012, 04:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post
Journalist Robin Turner (@robinturner) posted this on Twitter the other day:

Back from day in Cardiff making film about Generation Terrorists - you forget how insanely ambitious a record it was http://pic.twitter.com/msIwPxro
Maybe those of you who live and breath all things Manics can explain to me how GT was an "insanely ambitious" album. As someone who bought the album in '92, I don't recall it being that out of the ordinary or musically spectacular (it's not aged well at all either). In fact, I've always felt it was long winded and loaded with too much filler. Musically it was a bit old hat as well given that the type of audience they were generally trying to appeal to had moved away from the likes of GnR and onto the infamous Seattle bands, namely Nirvana (that's why GT never turned into a hit in the US. If it had been repeased 2 or 3 years earlier, it may have found an audience). As a result, I can't see what was so ambitious about that album. Maybe because they were a Welsh band signed to a major? From what I recall, there weren't too many bands from that region who were signed and making a name for themselves domestically or internationally.