View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 21:37
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldland Manic View Post

Okay, good question which can be answered quite quickly in general terms but might need to be more detailed for complete satisfaction.

Generally speaking, I like the post-Richey stuff rather than the with-Richey stuff. I think they have clearly mellowed, for want of a better word, and if they hadn't, I doubt I would enjoy their music as much as I do now.

For example, if I were to pick out an Ultimate Manics Gig set list for a bit of fun, there would be one from GT (Motorcycle Emptiness), one from GATS (La Tristesse), one from THB (This Is Yesterday) and the rest would then be from the more modern albums. Some of their stuff I've never listened to at all (Lifeblood and JFPL) and maybe never will.....

It was the albums of the late nineties that drew me in for sure. Yet a combination of work, four kids and a lack of money have restricted my opportunities to go and see them. Whether the fact that I have a little more money these days has helped me see them what will be three times in five years is a moot point but I certainly enjoy their music these days. I'm the same age as the boys so I've probably mellowed with them a little too which helps....

TL;DR - the Manics have changed into something I find far easier to listen to and enjoy. Long may it last...
From what you've said I really think you should give Lifeblood a try. There's multiple ways to listen to it for free nowadays (or you can pick up a CD for hardly anything). Just the way you say you like the mellow side... it's arguably the most 'mellow' album they've ever made (maybe alongside Rewind the Film), and for me is a much greater album than it seems from hearing the singles or really any of the tracks out of the context of the whole album.

I mean you might hate it, but those who love it (like me) tend to really love it.

In fact I'm going to to go listen to it again right now.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---