View Single Post
Old 24-06-2018, 07:54
I live to fall asleep

In praise of Nick's vocals

I'm told that in the various 'survivor' threads, the tracks Nick sings are getting something of a kicking. To a degree I can understand this - James has a phenomenal voice after all - but I strongly disagree with it. Nick's voice might not be classically good but it has a vulnerability to it that James' doesn't and suits some songs better than James' would. Also, I think when the two of them sing together, it adds an extra dimension to the songs.

And on top of all that, most of the songs Nick sings are great.

So, the point of this thread is to talk about how much we enjoy the songs Nick sings. Personal favourites of mine;

Intravenous Agnostic - James might sing the lead, but Nick's singing it with him, which gives the vocal a bit of gravel in the mix, entirely fitting with the rough production - and on the final chorus Nick's voice is actually turned up higher in the mix than James'.

Ballad Of The Bangkok Novotel - the Manics go full-on punk. The seeds of the recent 'No Feelings' cover are here.

Dying Breeds - beautiful and haunting.

William's Last Words - especially the Underworld remix. Nick captures the vulnerability of the narrator perfectly.

The Future Has Been Here 4-Ever - who needs James? Nick's vocal and Sean's trumpet make this track a bit of a hidden gem that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

As Holy As The Soil (That Buries Your Skin) - did I mention trumpets? Who'd have thought that gospel piano, mariachi trumpets and a Nick vocal would go so perfectly together? A highlight of 'Rewind The Film'.

The Left Behind - easily one of the best songs on RIF, Wire's resigned vocal sums up many of the album's themes, but it's also the most conventionally good singing that he's ever done, suggesting either practice or age has matured and developed his voice.