View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 18:33
Winterlover

I don't think they were particularly prescient...or if intended as clues they couldn't be picked up on until after the event...because he was forever quoting authors and indeed many of his own lyrics could be said with hindsight to point in the direction of not wanting to be around for much longer

...I do feel clues are often there but also that they tend to only be obvious after the event...

and it's probably a given that the band wouldn't have continued long as a 4 piece..but guess it can never be known if they'd have gone on as a 3 piece...unless he'd spoken up and said he wanted to leave and was happy for them to continue....maybe they would or maybe they'd all be doing separate things now....who can say....Everything Must Go wouldn't have happened o' course...but musically that was probably always the direction most wanted by most of the band...but it's all speculation and all made impossible by the fact that Richey wasn't well which makes all speculation feel unhelpful....Can only really say I be glad they continued and I am sorry he couldn't have just spoken up and let people in more but I also understand that mental health problems can prevent communication and sour relations till it feels like there's no going back......it must be hell for all left behind...so can only hope the band continuing has given them some strength and I can only hope for some peace for his sister somehow
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson