View Single Post
Old 20-10-2020, 19:07
Winterlover

I recently tried putting together a 2 cd lp of hidden gems (from this thread) but i simply couldn't narrow it down to less than 3 cds and where i really came unstuck was with this album because there are too many cracking b-sides hidden here -

I'm leaving you for solitude
Distractions
Lost voices
I know the numbers
Broken up again
Red rubber
Time ain't nothing
Inky fingers
Kiss my eyes for eternity

My point is that for some unearthly reason they've made an album with loads of forgettable filler that really should be shunted to b-sides - hazelton avenue and i think i found it are just god awful and i banish thee. It's not war seems to continue the trend of being enjoyed by the casuals but disliked by the fans - which probably goes for the album as a whole.

I agree that the last third of the album is the most interesting and i rather like the tracks so i'd keep those and i'd rate them higher than what these lot did, particularly don't be evil despite some clunky repetitive lyrics... wait, you have an open microphone to a massive corporation in your very home?!

Thing is though, i think you're ascribing a meaning to these last four lyrics that was never there to begin with, i do think they've become rather prophetic but nicky was writing them from a total luddite shouting at clouds who saw absolutely no benefits to being online. I've ranted about the internet being a cesspit of trolls many times but it's still a foundation on top of which the many real issues of the day are being fought but nicky certainly wasn't thinking about this when he wrote these lyrics because i remember the interviews around the promotion for this album at the time.

Pretty sure billion balconies is a j. g. ballard reference, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.