View Single Post
Old 26-10-2020, 14:26
Doors slowly closing

I listened to the National Treasures episode! I have some observations.

I liked how you started by mentioning Motown Junk, that was good.
Then how you also went on to say Stay Beautiful.
It was very logical to go onto Love's Sweet Exile, I thought.
I notice that you then covered the inclusion of You Love Us, which seemed highly appropriate.
One thing I would say is, you went on to include Slash 'n' Burn on the run-down, which was nice.
It was then gratifying to hear Motorcycle Emptiness’ name mentioned.
That reminds me, that you then verbalised what I’m sure many of us were thinking at that point, in the form of Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless).
Naturally, you advanced proceedings further with Little Baby Nothing.
Just in case anyone missed it, you then moved on to From Despair to Where.
La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) followed, thankfully.
We then heard Roses in the Hospital get a shout-out.
Incredibly, you then mentioned Life Becoming a Landslide (I don’t know if it really was incredibly so, but it did happen nevertheless).
You then made a funny joke about the name of Faster which I enjoyed.
Revol, denoitnem uoy nehT.
The titular ‘she’ in She Is Suffering could possibly be describing the audience at this point, but not me, I was still enjoying it.
Quite predictably we then heard tell of A Design for Life,
As well as Everything Must Go, and Kevin Carter, and Australia
I think I’m right in saying that they warned our parents that long lists being read on podcasts must be stopped, and so because nothing was done about it, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next was proven to be accurate.
You did mention The Everlasting, but I was disappointed you didn’t go on a jokey diversion about Mumm-Ra the Ever-living from classic cartoon series Thundercats, but nevermind.
I noticed the next track was You Stole the Sun from My Heart, and the list continued with Tsunami and The Masses Against the Classes, which all seemed very correct.
So Why So Sad is listed before Found That Soul, which you might have noted is slightly interesting in that they were released on the same day, so could have been listed the other way round and still been in the correct order.
Then you briefly referred to Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing, before touching upon There by the Grace of God (and the logically but sadly lacking Door to the River, the ‘Sir not-appearing-in-this-compilation’ of the album (if you catch the Monty Python reference).
The Love of Richard Nixon and Empty Souls were then listed, as you rightly highlighted, using words (kindly vocalised and recorded for the podcast, thank you all for that).
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough is in many ways the most Manics-y answer to the question of your podcast title, and here it was in the tracklisting, so that was nice.
I don’t remember if you mentioned Autumnsong and then Indian Summer, but I rather suspect it was highly likely you did do, because at this point my coffee was getting cold.
(It’s not analysis) just a tracklisting really, but in that spirit of listing, (It's Not War) Just the End of Love was a sensible inclusion at this stage, followed by Some Kind of Nothingness and Postcards from a Young (but now rapidly ageing) Man, before you finally got to This Is the Day, a song that almost describes how long it felt to listen to this recap of the tracks listed in the tracklisting, where a list of tracks were listed in a very list-like manner.

It was alright though, nice podcast, thanks.
(Hopefully obviously all meant in fun and with much appreciation!)

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---