View Single Post
Old 22-04-2015, 01:29
Born to end

The show was amazing. I'd seen them play once before, in Philly in '09, but it still felt almost surreal to see them walk out on stage at a venue I'd been to many times and know well. In a way, I imagine everyone in the crowd having their own versions of this reaction, or so it seemed with the people around me at least. The crowd was great. I *almost* wish I had taken a spot on the upstairs balcony, just to take it all in.

I was a bit bummed that the second set was a little shorter than I anticipated; I would have loved even just one more song from Futurology. But this didn't dampen the experience one bit. The band was awesome, and in fine form, and it felt like a treat to see them run through the non-HB stuff just as a 3-piece. And I have no complaints about the song selection (though as someone who rarely has a chance to see them, I'd probably be delighted by a set consisting of 10 Autumn Songs). It wasn't quite the same energy that I felt in the room the first time I saw them, but it was close. I thought YSTTS same off really well. A fun one to bounce around to. It was a bit deflating hearing YLU so soon into the set, however, knowing that ADFL and the band's departure from stage were likely to follow.

The Holy Bible was incredible; an intense performance augmented by all the energy in the crowd. Beyond this, the highlight for me was seeing "Walk Me to the Bridge," with many people bouncing around and shouting along. A "new" Manics song, played live in my own town? Just spectacular. And nice to see something new get such a reaction here.