View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
Maybe forced isn't the right word, and I think you're right - it does appear that James was compelled to write a certain kind of music to accompany Richey's lyrics. I suppose what I mean is, did that compulsion/habit/whatever you want to call it have the same constrictive effect, however inadvertant, as the deliberately commercial writing for PFAYM?
to do it broadly, and i qualify this with an "IMO" thing, it's pretty much that Richey's wire were/are always deeply personal, whereas Nicky tends to have a more general / "global/universal" thing going on. when it comes to THB and JFPL i think James composed for a perspective that this was for us and only us, with SATT, PFAYM the lyrics kind of dictate a more popularist feel to the music composition?

neither are particularly bad - of course the "hardcore" fans are always going to lean towards the THB/JFPL sound more vocally, which is hardly a crime, but it's not to say the more "popular" sound of the other albums is without merit, far from it in some instances.
blog