View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 17:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I wasn’t saying I want to see them in half full arenas That’s exactly what the RIF tour was last year and it was pretty soulless and misjudged. I just didn’t feel like the band were particularly enjoying even selling out small venues for parts of the Truth tour tbh, so whilst I do understand why they played as many as they did, they probably would have been happier doing less. Plus there are venues bigger than the ones they played, but a lot smaller than arenas (like Manchester Apollo for example) that would have worked and would still probably have sold out. Or they could have got an orchestra and done concert halls...that would have fitted the album well and would have been something a bit different.
I deffo agree with all of that, and I totally concur about TIMT with strings. I actually thought (given the sonic similarities) that they might do TIMT and EMG together in that format, which would take the pressure off TIMT in an arena setting, before the more euphoric nature of EMG. But there we go...

Anyway, on the number meanderings... I totally get what you mean. But for some bands they make that decision, firstly on how many gigs they want to do, and then they look at the economics. When folks were pontificating about the viability of the arena tour, I made an observation (albeit a back of the envelope style one) that a 75% full 8-date arena tour could still make a band more money than a fully sold out 16+ date theatre tour. But I do take your point. The Ritz holds 1,500ish, and the Apollo 3,500. So I'm not totally sure why you'd not just do 1 night at the Apollo, but there we are.

One model I think could work well for the band in future (assuming they want to do the odd heritage gig) would be to do 5-8 "club" gigs each year for the hardcore fans. Lots of rarities and that sort of jazz. Then 2-4 bigger (maybe arena) shows, full of the hits for the casual crowd. That way, the band play less, the hardocre don't get bored, the casuals are happy, and no tour is allowed to outstay its welcome, which hopefully keeps everyone happy-ish.