View Single Post
Old 29-08-2019, 19:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsAManic View Post
Of course, today is the 25th anniversary of the release of the band's most (rightfully) acclaimed album. However, this has been overshadowed by Oasis' Definitely Maybe which was released on the same day. Never in a million years would you get THB trending at #2 on Twitter or your bucket-hat-and-bumbag-over-the-shoulder-wearing, Strongbow Dark Fruits-chugging mates singing its praise.

But it got me thinking: I think this is a really overlooked fact in reviews. It really shows how distant they were from the fledgling Britpop movement at the time. They would later warm up to it, of course, but listening to these two albums back-to-back is a surreal experience.

What do you think? Hoping not to open up too big a can of worms but hey...
(Also I found out that Revol was released on the same day as Live Forever. Again make of that what you will.)
Listening to The Holy Bible back-to-back with any album is a little surreal ha.
Oasis have been back in the public eye again a lot of late haven't they so that might be partly why Definitely Maybe's been picked up on so much as well...
I don't think they found a role within Britpop no, the whole cool Britannia and partying down No. 10 not really their cup of tea....but they had their moment or were sort of adopted with Everything Must Go for a while...A Design for Life....mondeo man etc...Welshpop moment maybe with Catatonia, Super Furries, Stereophonics....whisper that last one....
In some ways they're not a million miles away from Oasis. I do remember Richey saying I'm feeling supersonic give me gin and tonic was a great line...but he didn't really feel supersonic so...a little tongue in cheek ...made me smile. I don't see the 2 bands as worlds apart but I am glad they didn't pop round Blair's for a brew (even if Noel did say at the time he had to do it for the wife...)

The date thing...it looks to have been the Tuesday but I remember looking everywhere on the Monday and finally finding one lonely cassette copy up on a high shelf at WH Smiths...As random then as they are now....
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson