View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 21:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I'm still not clear where the antisemitism accusation has come from. The book?
It's come from the book, but I think people are reading into it a little too much. Seeing as names are being mentioned (mods, I'll leave it up to your discretion if you want to keep this up or not. I have no idea what is or isn't acceptable here anymore), I was told that Rob Stringer is portrayed as someone whose paramount concern is money and also, as an aside, he took great exception to Richey dressing like a holocaust victim (I don't blame him one bit and I'm not Jewish). That's all I was told. I highly doubt a book with even a slight suggestion of antisemitism would get published by a subsidiary of a large publishing house.

Quote:
Regards faking passports, I think, but my recall is tipsy, that at that time it was still possible to get a one year passport fairly easily? and at the time I believe someone from a missing person's charity and the police (!) had said it wasn't all that difficult to get a fake one (back then)... but the police did add that there was no evidence to suggest that was the case.
Well, the police seemed to have missed a lot in their investigation so I'm not sure much of what they said can't be scrutinized. Didn't one of the lead detectives initially tell Simon Price that he thought Richey hadn't committed suicide and that someone would have had to have helped him disappear if that is what happened? He then he recanted or something because Price had to redact that bit when he updated the book.

Quote:
The photo on the missing poster - if that doesn't match the passport photo - I think there would have been more concern at the time no? It seems too obvious a thing to have missed and I've never heard his sister refer to it so probably there is an explanation that makes sense there.
Those photos have always been credited as photos he took to renew his passport and they definitely do look like passport photos. They have two of them, but what if there were more? Again, it's probably nothing.

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure Novel With Cocaine was left in the box to Jo and that's it.
I was told that in the book, it states that it was Jo who gave him the novel in the first place and there is no mention of it among the contents of the box. Why would he give her a book she recommended to him with instructions to read the forward? It sounds like it may have been this Vivian person, but since Emma Forrest seems to get cold feet these days talking about anything Richey related, I guess we'll never know if the story is true or heavily exaggerated. I mean, if Wire mentioned this Vivian person was with Richey that evening, there must be something to it. Still, you have to wonder why this info wasn't further investigated at the time.

Quote:
Again I don't know but I feel it stretches credibility to think anyone else was involved not least because why would anyone do that? Put his family and friends through all this? It doesn't add up. Someone would have had to have been very close to him to be trusted and want to help as well which makes it even less likely that they could or would
If he did just start anew, I can see someone who cared about him thinking they could improve his quality of life by helping him do this. Or maybe one of his many sycophantic followers who would have done anything for him. There's a number of reasons why they probably haven't come forward as well - fear of backlash or maybe they just genuinely believe that it was his choice and they still don't think any wrong was done despite his family's grief. It's shitty to say, but I can see some people being like this.