View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 16:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Agreed. I thought: god damn, have the guys gone deaf or something? This sometimes happens to musicians later down the line. The sound gets to so incomprehensably shit... I can only explain why James' Girl At The End Of The World sounds so thin, or why Eminem's new LP sounds like it's playing in a can w the volume turned up to 10.000 with the artists hearing loss.

PFAYM was unbelievably badly produced. The worst sounding album of their career, worse than Generation Terrorists. No sense of space, not a single interesting sound. Really muddy and uninterestingly warm. Horrible textureless guitars. To go from Lifeblood to this in 6 years sounded like a medical emergency to me, h.
You know, I've been thinking lately. It's not liking bad things that makes us stupid, it's not liking good things. It's the things we don't have the capacity to appreciate, internalize and understand that make us into imbeciles. Missing the point and reverting to past darlings and emotional ground. No one has bad taste in music because they like a bit of cheesy shite, people have bad taste because they don't like, know or appreciate clearly excellent stuff. And aren't capable of turning perfectly serviceable 7/10s and promising b-sides into big things for themselves, via analysis and imagination.

There is considerably more good music than good listeners.

Stand back, I have political powers!