View Single Post
Old 26-05-2019, 22:51
Knowlede Is Power

Fuck, what a gig!

First, the bad: Two more fights at this gig, both caused by people down the front getting fabulously offended at the thought that people jumping around and having fun (like you're meant to, y'know, when you're at the front, at a rock gig) might bump into them. If anyone reading this is of a similar mindset: stay further back if you treasure your personal space that much. Standing tickets sold out before the seated tickets at tonight's gig, so you've really no excuse. If someone does bump into you, if you could avoid lashing out at them, that'd be grand. Someone probably bumped them into you.

On that note, on the off-chance that the girl in the red t-shirt is reading, I hope you were able to stick around for the rest of the gig. That horrible little gremlin he was with left soon after he was removed. You would've been okay.

Also, they played Your Love Alone. Seriously guys, you're playing to the fanbase on this tour. We're here for the deeper cuts, not the festival setlists.

The good: It was the Manics as good as I've seen them. To be honest, I was pretty critical last time at the band's newfound laziness, but I've come to accept now that James can give up some guitar duties to the hired hands, since it really just makes it stand out more when he takes over for the super-JDB moments. He absolutely tore it up tonight, with his work on Sleepflower being a particular highlight.

Apart from that, I honestly just about cried at points during the TIMTTMY set. Seeing James belt out the "grown up or backwards born / into eternity and black holes / floating around up here on my own" bit of Be Natural, for one part, it just got me. You know those moments when you're listening to something, and it takes you right back to the first time you heard it? Be Natural was something I first heard when music was still something new to me, and it's a line planted really so deep in my brain that I think it formed a part of my being. I love that album, and I was so glad that the band delivered that part of that song, and everything else they played from that album and beyond, so well.

Also, good to see James looking slimmer and fitter, and Nicky being talkative. Loved his WIRE jacket, too. Great gig, and a great night all in.