View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09
Desire on its knees

The 'This is My Truth…' Discussion Thread

Ripped from the others from y2kyle16* but some of the comments made me want to start one for This is My Truth Tell Me Yours.

One of the main criticisms of the album seem to be about it being 'populist' and 'commercial'. Much as with KYE and Lifeblood my recent trawl through the whole Manics back catalogue has made me reappraise my opinions of the albums.

I hadn't listened to 'This is My Truth…' for ages and it was a shock to hear some of the songs when they popped up on random. I'd made the mistake of just associating the album with its singles rather than the album as a whole. I had forgotten how good 'Ready for Drowning' is and have even come round to liking 'Black Dog…'. The tag of populist/commercial doesn't sit well with me when listening to claustrophobic tracks like 'I'm Not Working' and the weirdness of 'Be Natural'.

'My Little Empire' is stunning and one of my favourite tracks and love the sound of 'Born a Girl'. It sounds like it's being played in a lonely arena with all that reverb. Love the music for SYMM but hate the lyrics.

This album was also a soundtrack for my transition to university and I even saw them on tour the day before I was due to move so the album has a personal connection.

*Off-topic I can't read the name Kyle without hearing it in John Lithgow's voice.