View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 01:52
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
Is this the first time we ever heard about the passport and old picture? What about this Vivian referred to? I don't want to go to the FB pages as I can already imagine what's being said there.
Like I said, the pictures identified as his last known photos have always been referred to as photos he had taken to renew his passport, but the passport he was using had his old photo in it. I'm massively speculating here that he had another passport drawn up using the photos with his shaved head. If someone heard him say to this mystery woman (she may also be the fan Emma Forrest claims Richey gave Novel with Cocaine to with the instructions about reading the forward) to take his passport because he didn't need it anymore, maybe that's because he had another one. Again, this is pure speculation based on pretty much nothing. I don't even know how hard or easy it would be in Britain, at that time let alone now, to falsify the info it would take to get a fake passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
I don't think checking the author for previous form is out of order. I was writing about an issue raised in her book. If I'd posted one of the numerous selfies or some random comment about her family or views on religion then that would've been irrelevant. Checking for a motive why a particular statement was written is pretty sensible whatever you're reading.
Yeah, what you posted was totally relevant to the discussion. I mean, if those are her beliefs, it's not completely out of left field that she may hold antisemitic views which would add credence to the assumption that an antisemitic trope is included in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
We need to separate things here. I’m not a fan of the book or the author, but has she just said someone was “capitalist evil”. And he happens to be a Jew?
That’s not anti-semitism.
If she included/connected it with that he’s Jewish and that has to do with the “fact” he’s capitalist evil”, that’s another thing.

Which one is it?
Unless they blatantly say something in the book or allude to this individual's religion, then there's no way really of knowing for sure if they were perpetuating an old antisemitic stereotype or that they were just referring to someone being more concerned about money from a corporate hack angle.

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 04-03-2019 at 06:59.