View Single Post
Old 18-05-2018, 22:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I thought International Blue sounded really off - nothing to do with the band's performance but the mixing seemed all over place. I seem to be the only one though?
You're not alone Flintybeast. I listened to the performance on TV and I did notice a bit of weirdness. It comes through way more on headphones - in fact the sound levels were all over the shop! For some reason it seems like they didn't account for the 3 guitar set up. As IB started, James was at roughly the same level of the other two because the other dude plays the lower octave on the main riff. For whatever reason when the "when you lead us to..." bit kicked in, Waynes guitar was waaaayyyyy too loud. James only got turned up to his proper level on the solo. On Design, the opposite happened. James came crashing (very satisfying) in on the chorus and he got turned down. So yeah. Mush. Hmmm.

I suppose it is a live show, and on this form we all know that certain rhythm guitar decisions can *aherm* even make a fantastic performance sound questionable. Oh lord, please someone get into the BBC vault and fix that fucking song! I'm sure the Sunday version of the Manic Street Six Piece will be properly mixed anyhwoo.

On a personal note I though the actual performances was tight. Really tight. The bit where James jumped and spun around after the middle section of Design was fucking joyous. I'd like to hear a new song too, but then I'll take a fiery Design for Life over Distant Coolwhip any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
And what's with the delegation of guitar duties?? They don't need to do that. Someone suggested that he's got the extra guitars so that he has to do less. I don't buy that theory. He doesn't have to do the solo on ADFL if he doesn't feel like it as the strings / synths do that - he only does it when he feels like it.
I'm not sure if there's a direct reason for it, but between 05 and 07, the 2nd guitar pretty much filled while James played as he had done until that point. Gradually (very gradually) he's let some of those parts go (eg no You Stole The Sun intro since 09.) In 2016, he played only the opening bars to the Design intro before just doing the vocal in the verse. To be fair the switchover sounded shit, so I can see why they changed that.

With other songs it's gone in a similar direction. It's not random by any stretch. James essentially plays the solos, the twiddly bits (except that one Wire wrote) and the loud bits. I'm not 50, so I don't want to judge because y'know there might be a psychical limitation there that we don't know about. I think James Dean Hetfield doesn't do much these days because he's got finger trouble hasn't he? Oooh. I said finger trouble. Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
A Manics gig lives or dies on how wellJames performs. While I'm not against a third guitarist taking the load off James, something in my core churns when I see James standing there with his guitar slumped to this side.
I do feel you on this to be fair. But that said I don't wanna whinge because I was knackered playing in a band in my 30's. If I could have done a gig via Skype I literally would have. So tiring. On that basis, who am I to take someone nearing their 50th for taking it a tad easier? Let's be honest, most of us will be in the garden center mulling our seedlings for the allotment at that age, not headlining Wembley Arena.

I made another comment somewhere about the 8 date tour and I think it applies to the performances directly as much as the touring schedules. A 90's manics gig was the musical equivalent of a gegenpress. Full power for 85 minutes with a quick breather for some acoustic tunes night after night. But to be absolutely fair, they were in their 20's and early 30's then. These days, they're more of a super sub who pops on for the last 10 to show everyone they've still got it. At that age, needs must and their energy has to be used in bursts. Personally, yes I would still love to see James shredding 24/7 - but if he doesn't fancy it and needs to take a step backwards, fair play to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
And I'm sure they weren't meaning to be disrespectful to the memory of Richey by having extra guitarists in slightly-too-advanced positions for some people's liking.
You couldn't make this up. Disrespecting Richey because of a stage position? Yeah in 1996 or something - fair enough (although even Naysmithe got it in the neck for daring to be tucked away in corner at various points.) But practically speaking for a second, 3x guitarists = 3x amp stacks + Naysmithe's massive keyboards = stage chaos.

But seriously it's like when you have kids. You realise you're not the star of the show anymore and you're happy to share the fruit of your loins with others. That, it seems, is where MSP are today. They're happy to share their stage to allow them to continue to perform and to enjoy their graft over the years with others.