View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 22:25
Winterlover

I'm not sure what assumptions are being made here but the Declaration of Presumption of Death helps the family to settle his financial affairs which is obviously understandable. If the person concerned left no will then the closest next of kin assumes the role of adminstrator to deal with their affairs and distribute their assets. If no will then the assets go to next of kin. Richey will still be 'earning' as a lyricist of the band, those earnings, as far as I understand the law will go to next of kin. That will remain the case for 70 years after the declaration of his death. Richey wasn't just a contributor to JFPL he was the lyricist. All 4 are credited against just about all of their songs tgether...all will receive royalties on copyright, a 'death' doesn't change that it just goes to your estate instead. There's no financial axes here.
Possibly the band were putting more aside for him, or he was 'being paid' whatever he was earning as a member of the band which may have proved more than copyright alone, probably did, but a declaration of death would presumably halt that and from then on earnings would be copyright to the estate. Makes sense. Should he return a Variation Order can be applied for and Richey would receive copyright earnings from the date the order is granted directly

I don't think anyone really expects to make much from this book. Author earnings are truly crap and had they received a stonking advance it would have been publicised, such things always are. He wasn't on the level of Kurt etc fame wise after all
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 20-02-2019 at 22:32.