View Single Post
Old 20-08-2012, 17:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
It's not really about the music but about the band's attitude. The band wanted to be humongous and famous/infamous and GT would be their grand statement: they considered sandpaper sleeves that would destroy the albums next to it in the shelf, the famous "if we don't sell x million albums we'll split" statement and the general "blow up humongously and then throw it all away" plans, OTT antics like the 4REAL faffle to show how serious they were, the defiant "we are here and you WILL love us" attitude, etc. The music we got was glam/cock rock with budget drum production (although it's easy to hear that they wanted the album to sound MASSIVE as well but came across budget problems) but the ambition referred to came from the band itself - knowingly delusional in most cases, but something that was pretty much their trademark during that era.
Ok, that makes sense. Silly me for equating "ambitious album" with the quality of the music. It's the early Manics after all! Ha!

Actually, all the responses given make perfect sense. Still, I personally don't find it to be an ambitious album, but I don't find many debut albums in general that ambitious.

And yes, 1992 was indeed a shit year for music wih the exception of a few releases such as Dry. 1993 was infinitely better as far as I'm concerned.