View Single Post
Old 19-03-2019, 17:31
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
...though most of the comments in the thread state the authors blame the band mostly for his problems, though why just the band?
Neither Rachel Edwards nor the authors blame anyone for his problems. His sister, like everyone else, is at a loss as to why he developed these issues. She does mention that it's possible he could have suffered a trauma and there was some talk about unresolved grief. He did also seem to have a strained relationship with his father so it's speculated that that may have been a catalyst too. Ultimately though, she doesn't know and she certainly doesn't blame the band for his illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
Before I take any view to Richey appearing anti sematic
OMG! He does not appear antisemitic at all! I'm sorry if my post gave you that impression! I was just reacting to the author's interpretation of the lyrics specifically James asking Richey to edit the first draft of the lyrics of TIHOE. The authors seem to think he was trying to be deliberately provocative with some of the lyrics in the first draft which is why James told him to rewrite it. He probably was, but that coupled with the other stuff just pissed me off for the reasons I mentioned. Bottom line is, I probably should have skipped that analysis because I knew I would likely perceive it as inflammatory, which I did.

Quote:
James, the more cagey between What had happened with Richey than Nickey or Sean, told an interviewer on camera that when he went to hospital, it was for an attempted suicide
He did say it around the time of JFPL, I think. He was sitting at a dressing room table as I recall. I think he realized he kind of said something he shouldn't have because he looked uneasy. Hearing someone say it was a suicide attempt and reading the details of what went down are two different things. It's shocking and the aftermath was sad as f**k!

I won't go into the details of what happened (Stuart Baille mentioned it as a rumor in the article he did with the band right after Richey got out of hospital. The rumor was exactly what went down), and given what has been confirmed, there can be no ambiguity anymore; it was a suicide attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I meant Richey...though I was puzzled over the aunt and uncle reference I remember Richey saying something about spending some of his childhood raised by his grandma but didn't elaborate....I think that was the time he was also taken along to church.... he sounded very close to her although never elaborated on why he spent some of his childhood there rather than at home.....money issues? His parents just too young?
Oh, ok! I wasn't sure! Lol! Yeah, Richey lived with his paternal grandmother in her house along with his mum, dad and sister until the age of 13. His grandmother apparently had an enormous influence on him. His sister mentions that a few psychologists suggested his self-harming may have been the result of unresolved grief over her death. It's believed his self harming started shortly after her funeral.

Quote:
Oh he definitely was. If a little too aware of it ha.
That's the thing though, I don't think he did. I think in his mind, he really thought himself repulsive which is probably why he was constantly obsessed with his physical appearance. I think that's also why he liked hanging with the young groupies that fawned over him because they probably, in an altogether messed up way, built up what little self-esteem he had. Honestly, it's pretty apparent when you read his letters to friends, particularly females he was interested in, he really didn't like himself at all. I feel like I understand a lot more now why he didn't become involved seriously with anyone. He was tormented by the thought that they would find someone better because he wasn't good enough. Poor bugger!

Quote:
but as he spoke of shaving his head as being about getting rid of vanity, so to speak, and the grief over the loss of his dog then maybe the pj's were worn though the same line of thinking...all is vanity, who cares anymore about image, who can be bothered, a retreat of sorts, an all is vanity statement. Or, maybe, he just couldn't be bothered getting dressed that day
That's actually a very likely reason. I tend to lean towards the attention theory though. By that period, it doesn't seem like anyone other than his family really wanted to be around him. I don't know if he was unintentionally pushing them away or they just couldn't be around him because his behavior was so erratic. Nicky said he would be fine one minute and the next he was playing games that he knew would hurt them like crumbling a chocolate bar into a bowl right in from of them.

Quote:
Wash your mouth out E-books are the great satan to me I'm afraid...as if all this wasn't bad enough ha. I'll go browse e-bay...or should I? I still can't decide if I want to read it but no I can't go electronic...that's just not a book to me. Is this actually worthy of the name book did you say? Well....
Haha! I forgot most people with a penchant for literature are purists when it comes to books. I'm slightly indifferent, personally. I do love traditional books, but I prefer the convenience of having several books neatly tucked away on my iPad.

Quote:
To me this just makes me wonder what the fuck with regards to the professionals.
Well yeah! In fact, the book talks about how pissed off he was that he didn't feel he was getting the proper help, but I don't know how much of that was him thinking he knew better or they genuinely did bugger all for him. I share the same belief as you and some of the others here that mental health care is still lacking in 2019 so I'm sure it was even worse back then. I don't recall, but does anyone know if Cognitive behavioral therapy was being offered back then? From my own experience, I was able to ditch the meds after a few years of doing CBT and I know that for the past 15 or so years it's been widely used to treat behavioral conditions like self-harm, Borderline Personality Disorders, anorexia, substance addiction, etc. I'm just wondering if he would have had access to it. From the book, it doesn't sound like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Richey's interview quotes and lyrics gave articulation to something rarely discussed behind closed doors let alone in public.
I think that's why he's highly regarded by a lot of people including musicians/lyricists like Thom Yorke and Pete Doherty. He wasn't afraid to draw attention to the stuff most people keep silent about, particularly on THB. That's why it sucks to think he thought people would only remember him for his self harm.

Quote:
Still no takers on the fact that it was reported he was drinking, not eating, and SIB before January 95? or what happened during the two weeks till they found the car? or the "staged toll ticket, passport and prozac" in his apartment.
According to Rachel, when they found the car, there was an empty bottle of wine in it. I think he relapsed while they were on tour though. One of the journalists covering the gigs was in a hotel room Richey shared with Nicky on the THB autumn tour and there was a half full bottle of vodka on the bedside table. Richey apparently remarked to him, "I'm an alcoholic now". I believe that story is in the Rob Jovanovic book. As for the two weeks on the road, no clue!

After taking a few days to properly digest what I read, I actually don't think Richey was toxic at all! I think he was just deeply troubled and it's a shame that circumstance (era, environment, etc) prevented him from getting help until it was almost too late (not that he would have fared any better if he had, but there's a possibility it could have helped him). I'm also glad that Rachel Edwards has opened up about his struggles even if I still do think some things should have been edited for privacy's sake. I hope speaking out about what he went through helps in dismantling the stigma associated with mental illness. I also hope that it brings some kind of closure for her and that she is able to resolve her differences with the band. She's done a lot to not only help change legislation in Britain for the families of missing people, but also, by using her brother's notoriety, has brought a lot of attention to the countless people who've gone missing in Britain and the families they've left behind. I don't think she's been given the recognition she deserves for her efforts.

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 19-03-2019 at 17:40.