View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 23:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post

I find it more heartbreaking that he left a gift and a note for someone he knew off and on for two years, but didn't leave anything for his family and friends. He just left them in limbo. It's not Jo's life that's probably ruined now. She's likely moved on with her life, but his sister sounds like she lives in stasis. I think that's the real tragedy of all this. It was more important for him to leave a myth/a mystery behind than it was to let his family know what he had done. I know his mental state wasn't the best, but he couldn't have been that far gone if he arranged his disappearance.
You're right to and my earlier statement was in no way a denigration of what his family and friends went through. But he was clearly not well and his attempts to convey that last message to a girl who clearly was not interested was pitiful.

I too am glad she's never spoken publicly. She would only end up being blamed for his vanishing. People have a habit of blaming women for such things, especially if it's because they rejected the man's sexual advances. "If only she'd given him a chance..." blah, blah blah. It makes me sick. But I digress.