View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 10:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Nah, come on, she’s got him on that one. Nicky decided to become a tabloid editor with that song. It’s revolting and would understandably be offensive to Richey’s sister. I’ve said that ever since the full lyrics were shown.
She’s ‘got him’? Seriously? She disagrees with his editing of a song and makes out that all of Richey’s words are sacred and untouchable. The band are simultaneously nothing without them and should never use them. If you don’t like the lyric or the way it was edited that’s absolutely a valid opinion, but not one it’s fair or reasonable to weaponise. I obviously feel differently, but either way I don’t think it can be said there was anything but love behind the treatment of that lyric.

We only know how WLW, and indeed all of JFPL, was edited because we were given access to the original lyric sheets. They didn’t have to share those but they did out of respect and admiration for what they were working with. If we saw the originals of all their songs vs how they ended up, I bet the form and intention of most would end up considerably different that they started out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
The 'you're my best friend' line doesn't and never sat well with me. The lyric that Nicky edited seems like a love note to the band, where Richey's essay seems much more vague and intangible. If you read the lyric from Rachel's perspective, it looks like the band is once again claiming ownership of the grief.

When the song came out, I pretty much remember the forum here being quite critical of the lyric. Still love the song though, one of the best produced songs in their catalogue and the outro still sends me into tears 10 years later (fuck it's been 10 years)...
But why wouldn’t the band curate the song towards them? It’s a song, of lyrics, given to them. Again, the love works both ways. Why can’t they deal with their grief via what they were given?

This criticism is mentioned in the book as if it gives theirs validity, incidentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
It’s starting to get beyond that.
Anyone who’s been through hard times can’t have a free pass to behave in such disgraceful and unjustifiable ways unremarked.
Very, very much this.

Last edited by sofarsideways; 27-02-2019 at 10:47.