View Single Post
Old 31-03-2019, 20:05
I live to fall asleep

MY (VERY SHORT) REVIEW

Read the book over the weekend while traveling.

I'd say about 20% of it was an interesting read. I didn't know the exact timeline of events in 1994/1995 and that was about the only thing I took from the book.

I work in books and writing (yes I am being vague on purpose) and this is a very poor book. It is EXTREMELY padded out. The vast majority of the book is quotations from interviews already in the public domain as well as rather amateur attempts at interpreting lyrics. The chapter that started breaking down the Holy Bible lyrics was atrocious.

Each section seems to return to the point that Richey was interested in this movie or that book in which the protagonist disappeared and committed suicide and so it all makes sense. That is the overall narrative thread. Very poor.

A more interesting book would have been to focus on the last year of the band up to Richey's disappearance. That is the true story of Richey and the Manic Street Preachers. The book suggests the incredible tensions of that time, but, of course, without any actual involvement of anyone that was there, this book can only offer incredibly superficial speculation.

What was the point of this book? It says absolutely nothing new.

Last edited by Europa Gluten Free; 31-03-2019 at 21:48.