View Single Post
Old 13-04-2018, 23:07
An imitation of dignity

Listened to it on the way to footie tonight. My thoughts, for what they're worth....

People Give In - I like it. A bit quirky, a bit different and catchy and a departure from the norm.

International Blue - still blows me away every time I hear it. I guess I've heard this more than any other on the album which gives it an unfair advantage over the non-released singles but it's such a strong track.

Distant Colours - yep, like this one. Another quirky song but the way the chorus comes crashing in hits the spot.

Vivian - meh.

Dylan & Caitlin - to me, this is much better than the acoustic version I heard a while ago. As others have said, many others in fact, sounds like Jacqui Abbott singing on there - not that that's a bad thing.

Liverpool Revisited - my favourite song on the album. Love it, love it, love it, love it. If it was 90 seconds longer, by adding in two more verses and two more choruses say, would be in my all time top ten Manics songs. Feel a bit cheated that it's not longer but hey ho, I'd rather have a song for 2 mins 31 seconds that I like than a 4 minute song that I didn't.

Sequels of Forgotten Wars - okay.

Hold Me Like A Heaven - will be a grower.

In Eternity - okay.

Broken Algorithms - okay.

Song for the Sadness - this will be another grower.

The Left Behind - very strange song but I like it a lot. Nicky's voice is well short of the quality of JDB of course but this merits its spot on the album, albeit song 12 of 12.

Will give it another shot over the weekend to see if I can generate more interest in the songs from 7-11.

1993 - Milton Keynes
2002 - Cardiff
2014 - Bournemouth
2018 - Wembley Arena
2019 - Bath
2021 - Cardiff
2021 - Bath
2021 - Wembley Arena
2022 - Bristol
2023 - Bath

Torn between the then and now, never really knowing the why and how