View Single Post
Old 15-10-2019, 23:13
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Yeah.. it's almost as if it's a joke or novelty with a lot of bands. Can't think of many specific examples off the top of my head, think the Radio 1 Live Lounge is quite guilty of it. Didn't Arctic Monkeys do Love Machine? Or someone like that did.. Futureheads can get right to fuck with their Hounds of Love though.

Suppose it depends on how and why you've done the cover. If it's a sincere tribute, great. I am leaning towards letting Manics off for that one though cos I love em and they wrote Little Baby Nothing. They're not cock rock. And to be honest, I think there are a couple of bits of Umbrella that read like they could've been written by Wire anyway!

"These fancy things will never come in between
You're part of my entity, here for infinity
When the world has took its part
When the world has dealt its cards
If the hand is hard, together we'll mend your heart"

It's quite a dark and bittersweet for a pop song really. I don't think they covered it for a laugh or out of any chauvinism but I wonder if it was their way of showing that they're not dinosaurs and they are aware of modern music. I sound like a grandad...

You forget just how many covers they've done. Wouldn't say there's any I think are particularly shit, they've made some interesting choices over the years. Think my favourite is probably the version of Clampdown James did on his solo tour.
They've never shied away from saying they like pop songs though have they....it possibly didn't run any deeper than reckoning that's a fine pop tune think we should have a crack

There's not many covers by male artists of songs originally sung or written by female artists when one thinks on.....although there's a cover of the Kate Bush song This Woman's Work by Maxwell which is a real tribute as well as making it his own
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson