View Single Post
Old 13-02-2018, 22:28
I live to fall asleep

My probably totally inaccurate predictions about the songs that have not already been clarified by the Wire.

Liverpool Revisited - about the Liverpool post-punk bands like Echo and the Bunnymen? That would make more sense of the 'Revisited' than if it were The Beatles (I hope it's not about the Beatles as it would probably be vomit-inducing).

Sequels Of Forgotten Wars - the only overtly political track on the album? It *could* be another 'Second Great Depression' where Wire uses political language to reflect on personal issues.

Broken Algorithms - about technology and how it's affecting society. 'A Billion Balconies' meets Black Mirror.

A Song For The Sadness - a general 'Wire's a bit glum' song.

The Left Behind - about how the band and Richey's family felt after he went missing.

Concrete Fields - comparing today's urban environment with Wire's (or JDB's) childhood memories of having fields to play in, rather than concrete everywhere. Could be either angry or wistful.

A Soundtrack To Complete Withdrawal - an instrumental? If there is a lyric the title would seem to be fair self-explanatory.

Musically I think a lot of it will be fairly upbeat - JDB mentioned on the radio recently that he was influenced by music that propelled itself forwards. It's going to be more of a SATT/PFAYM album than a JFPL or even Futurology, although that said the focus on art is a lyrical continuation from the latter, as are the keyboard sounds in International Blue. JDB did suggest Wire had written some lyrics about the current political situation but given the titles and the topics that the band have already confirmed there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for many of them.