View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 10:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
I agree.
But then, I like their every album, without exception.
That may make me seem lacking of critical thinking, but I really only just genuinely enjoy anything the band has to show us. I like the diversity of their repertoire too.
I agree with your agreement.

I like all their albums too, it’s allowed. It doesn’t mean there aren’t albums in general, by all bands and artists where I don’t like some. But there isn’t a certain number of albums where it becomes impossible to like them all, is there? I mean I guess it becomes statistically more likely that the more they make, the more chance there will be one that you (/ I /we) don’t like, but then there’s bands with only 1 album and I don’t like it, and bands with a few and I only like a couple, and bands with loads and only a few I don’t like... all totally valid opinions. You can say the same kind of things about the authors of books, film directors, etc etc...

Further to your point, I think it sometimes feels like some people have an expectation, either of themselves or of others, that one ‘should’ dislike some things in someone’s work, as if to prove their critical faculties are discerning and they have ‘good’ taste. I think that’s misguided, whether it really is an expectation or it’s just an echo chamber of perceptions and few people actually, truly feel that way.

None of which is to dispite some people genuinely dislike stuff. That’s fine. But it is grating when people adopt the attitude that because they don’t like something (subjectively), therefore it is ‘objectively’ bad. Just no. Conversely, the same can be said about ‘recognised’ classics, that people ‘should’ like... but it does feel to me that those with negative views tend to shout louder, certainly online.

TL;DR version: you like what you like, nothing wrong with that.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---