View Single Post
Old 17-04-2018, 10:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

First listen and yeah, this is not the side of the manics I care much for. I was expecting it to be better, honestly -- like a pfaym I can go for, a more atmospheric, better produced pfaym? But no, its production muddles it all together just like that one. Really sharp and tinny and claustrophobic sounding album. I'm very much about the soundscape and while the manics have done incredible things there, like TIMTTMY, Futurology and Lifeblood, they totally lose me with stuff like the chorus for People Give In.

I only like the sparser moments: Vivian, which is a lovely bouncy thing with staccato-induced space and funkyness (of course everyone hates it here ), The Left Behind which has a bit of air too and Nicky sounding calmer and more in tune with his emotions than James on this album, and also Concrete Fields, which is just classic manics old-dad rock; a sentiment I always cherish when Nicky does it. Of the in your face mega-anthems they're clearly gunning for, only Hold Me Like A Heaven achieved the desired effect for me. That chorus truly is giant, although a better producer could have made it even more so.

The singles did not sound very good after People Give In, which is... yeah. I'm sexually incompatible with that chorus.

I'm not super sad or disappointed or anything, still grateful for RTF / Futurology, but this seems like a retreat into dull-eyed daytime string-land again. You know what's a good antidote against that and these lulls in general? Getting another producer.

Gonna give it some more spins, of course. I expect it to turn into a slightly better pfaym over time, but who knows, maybe headphones or different weather outside will suprise me and reveal something.

You know what's a pity though? I love, love, loved their cover of "Feels Like Heaven" for that 80s collection. It's clearly a huge influence on this album and nothing achieves the same splendor and ease. Hold Me Like A Heaven (even in the title and chorus wording) does try to come close though. Maybe over time?

Last edited by Marat Sar; 17-04-2018 at 10:40.