View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 22:15
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Wanted to make this point ages ago but always pressed the back button but fuck it, I think whatever antithingy from the book could be seen as an attack on the band supporting the BDS. Or that could be my BS.
Back to thread, nothing more to offer but however bad things really are, there's worse monsters in Westminster!
Could be your BS...and there's enough in and around this book already without you adding to it sir ..... I joke. But. It is BS nevertheless.

And as for Roger Waters mentioned - he didn't actually say the band were supporters to be fair. He himself is absolutely but he was making the general point that many artists worry about speaking out about the Israeli government for fear of being labelled anti-semitic with the exceptions of artists like Costello and the Manics....so he wasn't saying they were supporters only that they had the confidence to express their opinions.

I actually can't remember them passing any comment on the conflict....if Richey mentioned that things would be different if Palestine had oil....that be the truth for it is always different if you're sitting on the oil...or if you own the land the oil is sitting on...I appreciate the latter point could bring forth a whole argument in itself...!

If anything I've noticed that the band stay away in general from aligning themselves with any organisations and/or charities for that matter except for War Child....can understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
It's also possible that Richey was just being sincere and himself in portraying his feelings about the holocaust and more so with the intenseness of his album, in that he became completely involved in the content. It's also possible that he felt more a victim of the stigmas attached to mental illness. I also think the band were always supportive and never patronising, but possibly outsiders were who had no concern.
It's possible that his choice of clothing and the holocaust identification is being misconstrued though? Not unlike the links to Rob Stringer. Apart from the last interview and photos I'm not sure if the accounts of him wearing them in the studio etc are verified or more supposition arising from the book. I puzzled as to why the interviewer didn't ask him as he asked about his shaved head. It could have been an all is vanity statement as shaving his head seemed in part to have been? All is vanity in reference to both his own vanity or a rejection of it and also to everything being in vain....it seems fair to suppose that by that date he'd made his mind up about something? It's only a theory like linking the pyjamas in to the holocaust but I don't feel that he would attempt to draw a parallel or attempt to identify with the holocaust victims so closely. If you look at his lyrics, if you listen to what he had to say on a film like Schindler's List, widely praised yet he felt dangerous because it risked giving the wrong impression...that the decent acts of one Nazi may reduce the scale of the evil perpertrated by the many in the minds of those approaching the history maybe for the first time through this film....I don't feel like he was the kind of person to try and appropriate the sufferings of the victims who died in the camps....I feel he may have felt that idea as abhorrent as Schindler's List.
At the time there were more references to the fact he was wearing the same converses as Kurt Cobain when he shot himself.
I'm not having a go....I just feel like we need to take a little care around suppositions...in contrast to the authors of this book. For we are better than that
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 09-03-2019 at 22:21. Reason: spillings and grandma erorz