Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old Today, 10:31
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Probably something about smoking bans or government health warnings...why snuffed out by midgets I've no idea....surrealism
This is an interesting piece

https://227lears.com/2021/06/30/word-limits/
Thanks! It's been a while since I went through that website and again it's reminded me how much I can forget/miss. The bit about the 'she/her' in PCP is a great spot and the idea of a female personification of political correctness, as a 'storyline' to the song makes a lot of sense.

I think I'd previously seen the 'midgets' as being the reduced size cigarettes (king size being removed to 'bring fresh air') but, yes , 'her midgets' seems more in line with the posts above.

Last edited by Glyn; Today at 10:36.
Old Today, 21:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Maybe a reference to Court Dwarves?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_dwarf

I just love James's delivery of the line and the repetition of it emphasises how terrible the line is. God bless you James.

On further reflection I think that when Richey uses the word She, he's referring to the queen/royalty and the line about cigarettes stubbed out by midgets is probably about how supposedly royals have help with everyday activities that one could easily do themselves. Why Richey is mixing the nanny state with royal etiquette who knows, he was never one to shy away from being opaque.
Yes God bless James, but how would Richey's lyrics stand in culture now, where anyone can't say midget. I was going to suggest it could mean stunted growth from cigarettes, but maybe that's derogatory, It's most likely a royalty reference or possibly 'mental midgets' suggested in the replies. 'Words discoloured bow to the bland' could this mean the same as a prejorative culture, heal yourself with sinner's salt?

Last edited by rosetree; Today at 21:43.