Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old Yesterday, 22:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

I wonder how the next song went and the after reaction, James is really screaming the song out at the end
Old Yesterday, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
The issue with Wayne is not his guitar playing which is competently not noticeable, it's his out of tune backing vocals that are turned up too high in the mix. Whenever I hear the opening riff of Slash N' Burn, my heart fills with dread at once again having to endure Wayne murdering "Kill to live Kill for kicks". Doesn't really matter to me that he's a fan or not, I just don't want have to live in fear of certain songs for fear of his backing vocals.
Can't say I've noticed that his backing vocals have been high in their mix. I think Nicky should have more vocal input though and hopefully on the new album.
Old Today, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
I wonder how the next song went and the after reaction, James is really screaming the song out at the end
The next song and the rest of the set went great, as I said before, they blew many of the headliners off the stage. And that's how James used sing alot of the time, y'know, when he still gave a shit and used the full range of his voice.
Old Today, 08:11
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Voices change over time and going hard on your vocals like James did during the GATS quickly leads your range being shot. Listen to any of the live recordings from the THB 1994 tour and you can tell his voice had already diminished. Same thing happened to Matthew Bellamy, Serj Tankian and Corey Taylor around the time of 3rd/4th albums and tours. As great as it sounds, voice aggro just isn't sustainable especially for singers whose careers span multiple decades.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old Today, 08:43

Fully agree, wouldn't expect any singer to have longevity screaming and couldn't begrudge that however James just stopped trying in my opinion. There was a brief pickup on the Rewind The Film tour but after that back to the whole by the numbers vocals
Old Today, 09:05

To be fair to James, I don't know how he has lasted as long as he has singing the way he has over the years. It's not even the range he sings, it's the actual lack of breathing space between verses and choruses. I've been in a Manics tribute now for only a year but it's so hard singing some of the earlier songs with so little breathing space between verses and full out and out blasting choruses, this had definitely made me more understanding of the way they pick their setlists these days.....last gig we did Of Walking Abortion into Judge Yrself...Found That Soul, Peeled Apples and right into Masses.......pass me the inhaler.....
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

https://linktr.ee/foreverdelayedmanics
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
Old Today, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_laconia View Post
To be fair to James, I don't know how he has lasted as long as he has singing the way he has over the years. It's not even the range he sings, it's the actual lack of breathing space between verses and choruses. I've been in a Manics tribute now for only a year but it's so hard singing some of the earlier songs with so little breathing space between verses and full out and out blasting choruses, this had definitely made me more understanding of the way they pick their setlists these days.....last gig we did Of Walking Abortion into Judge Yrself...Found That Soul, Peeled Apples and right into Masses.......pass me the inhaler.....
You sound great. I don't know if you play different places but where I live near Sunny Bank Mills, its a heritage site some of it is where the Sewing Bee is filmed. The Oldwoollen venue is always a surprise who comes to play there. Some unknown though some from the past like Space, and different artists, Roddy Woomble from Idlewild. Tommy Scott from Space is returning, Huey from fun lovin criminals comes back and walks around often. It's quite alternative and a bit unknown. There are small fests and tribute bands play and I've often thought it would be great to have a Manics tribute band play there.
Old Today, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
The next song and the rest of the set went great, as I said before, they blew many of the headliners off the stage. And that's how James used sing alot of the time, y'know, when he still gave a shit and used the full range of his voice.
Ok, I just get the feeling James was screaming louder there because of Richey"s playing.