Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 28-04-2024, 15:18
Bored of being bored

Bearing in mind the Anchoress has a strong association with the Manics and has recently covered Suede what do we reckon the chances are of her appearing with one or both of the bands at some point?
Old 05-06-2024, 09:25
Bored of being bored

So 5th July in Cardiff might be a bit of a wild celebration (if the current Polls are accurate)...
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 12-06-2024, 14:26
Freed from the century

Does anyone have parking recommendations for Cardiff?

Last time I went there was the Park and Ride because 1Direction were at the Millennium Stadium, but that seems to only be for big events.

Obviously I've looked no the councils website and can spot a few, but thought someone here might have a recommendation. Ta!
Old 20-06-2024, 13:27
Born to end

Dublin trinity college

Does anyone know which order they’re playing in for dublin? Who’s on last? Thanks!
Old 20-06-2024, 13:50
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschain View Post
Does anyone know which order they’re playing in for dublin? Who’s on last? Thanks!
At the bottom of this page it's got ** wherever Suede finish the night. Suede play after the Manics in Dublin.
Have a great show whichever you get to!
Old 23-06-2024, 07:05
Bored of being bored

First night of the Suede summer UK tour and they've premiered a new song. Wonder if it'll stick around for all the shows or if it was a festival appearance one off.
Old 28-06-2024, 15:52
Bored of being bored

Have fun everyone going tonight and to the subsequent dates... I'm trying to stay spoiler free till Manchester so will be trying to avoid this thread till then!
Old 28-06-2024, 20:35
Builder of routine

They're probably on right now! All is quiet here. Not even neighbour's kids or traffic.
Willing them on to be amazing from my bed.
Old 28-06-2024, 21:41
Builder of routine

Set list on FD Facebook page. Hmm! I would have liked to have saw that. Liked how one album's start recreated. Did not expect them to play that one which sets that up. Really weird seeing recent hit. And wow if that's how they close the night before Tolerate.
Onto tomorrow. Actually have specific thread.
Those whippersnappers Suede however, having that card up their sleeve though!
Old 28-06-2024, 22:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Set list on FD Facebook page. Hmm! I would have liked to have saw that. Liked how one album's start recreated. Did not expect them to play that one which sets that up. Really weird seeing recent hit. And wow if that's how they close the night before Tolerate.
Onto tomorrow. Actually have specific thread.
Those whippersnappers Suede however, having that card up their sleeve though!
I thought the opposite about the setlist actually. Very safe and nothing special apart from To Repel Ghosts and Elvis. Heard a bit of Slash n Burn and JDB's (live) voice has had it now. Much more pitchy than usual, avoiding much more in the way of high(ish) notes, and missing small parts of the song altogether. I'd expect him to sound like that with a cold or half way through a tour, not 3 songs into the first gig.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 29-06-2024, 01:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

I know it's just the way things are these days, but the continued emphasis on the '90s material just makes me a bit sad, I think. Musically they haven't yet reached the point of being a legacy band - each album feels like it has a reason to exist more than just to prop up another tour - but setlists like this don't suggest that at all.

GT - 4
GATS - 2
THB - 0
EMG - 4
TIMT - 2
KYE - 0
L - 1
SATT - 1
JPFL - 0
PFAYM - 0
RTF - 0
F - 1
RIF - 0
TUVL - 0
New material - 0
Old 29-06-2024, 04:12
Freed from the century

I agree with your sentiment entirely...but they did play Orwellian.
Old 29-06-2024, 08:18
Winterlover

Definitely agree the Llangollen setlist and performance were safe and predictable for the most part. I’ve noticed James skipping high notes or changing the phrasing of parts that really need some welly behind them for a while now, it’s a shame because a Manics gig can really hit another level when he’s trying.

But to look at the positives, I did have a great time. It was cool seeing a gig surrounded by the rolling hills of Wales, and I loved hearing To Repel Ghosts again, my absolute favourite from Lifeblood and 19 years since I last heard it live. Elvis Impersonator was nice surprise too. Even the inclusion of Orwellian couldn’t ruin a good night for me and my friend!

Suede bringing more consistent energy and also throwing in The 2 of Us and I Don’t Know How to Reach You was brilliant. They never disappoint live.
Old 29-06-2024, 09:07
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Should we be treating this as a normal Manics tour? Half the crowd (maybe not so much in Wales) are there for another band, and they have less stage time. It's the reason I'm not bothered for this tour, it's their cashing in on good will tour. Still surprised to see To Repel Ghosts making the cut. Not a bad song, but 1985 is so much more a crowd pleaser. Let's remember the set list at Bath last year and hope for a full tour in the new year!

I also tend to give James a pass on his live singing because even on his worst days he is a top tier guitarist and front man and a lot of bands have neither. He still runs circles around his counterparts and it's very different being in front of him experiencing that than watching a few low quality phone videos from people who should be enjoying the gig than you know, sticking their phones in air blocking people's view.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 29-06-2024, 10:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Should we be treating this as a normal Manics tour? Half the crowd (maybe not so much in Wales) are there for another band, and they have less stage time.
Good question. I guess not in the traditional sense of touring to promote a new album, but as both bands seem to be working on new material right now, and there’s a crossover of fans, it makes sense from a business perspective to bring crowds in. They have a history of playing festivals or little tours or support slots in stadiums etc between albums anyway so I suspect they just enjoy playing live, gives them an excuse to be on the road.