Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 09-07-2024, 14:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Any timings for Leeds would be greatly appreciated also - Manics on first so gonna be an early one I guess.
1st July 1993 Leeds Town & Country Club, 8th April 1996 Leeds Town & Country Club, 8th October 1996 Leeds Town & Country Club, 12th December 1996 Cardiff International Arena, 24th May 1997 Manchester Nynex Arena, 23rd August 1997 Reading Festival, 26th June 1999 Glastonbury Festival, 26th August 2001 Leeds Festival, 6th December 2002 MEN Arena, 11th July 2003 Move Festival,17th December 2004 MEN Arena, 17th April 2005 Leeds Refectory, 9th May 2007 Leeds Refectory, 11th October 2010 Leeds Town & Country Club, 1st June 2015 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 2nd May 2018 Leeds Arena, 27th May 2019 York Barbican, 10th September 2021 Piece Hall, Halifax, 7th October 2021 Leeds Town & Country Club, 13th July 2024 Millennium Square, Leeds

www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums
www.jamesradley.co.uk
Old 09-07-2024, 16:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Any inside knowledge on timings / running order for Manchester this Friday?

I have had an email saying doors are now at 5.30pm so I'm hoping that band times haven't been brought forward - my other half has to come direct from work. Is Mcr. Manics first or Suede?
I believe Manchester is Suede first, Manics closing. I've only been to Cardiff so far, and MSP closed and came on stage at *I think* 2115, later than their usual tours.
Old 11-07-2024, 15:49
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
How did Edinburgh go, Choes?
Old 11-07-2024, 23:08
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

One thing not mentioned here is that the band are now closing no surface all feeling with a snippet of the pumpkin's Today.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 12-07-2024, 23:37
Born to end

Well that was fun in Mcr. tonight. Suede were excellent as were the Manics, even if James’s guitar wasn’t loud enough. Solid, if not incendiary.

1993 Southend Cliffs Pavilion and many, many times since then
Old 13-07-2024, 08:18
Bored of being bored

Well despite turning up to Manchester to find it peeing down with raid that was pretty good fun!

I thought the Manics were on pretty good form - James seemed to enjoy his little extended spot on the side of the stage for coming out to solo on. Set list it may have been a little safe but it hit the spot for me - but can't complain about one song I've never heard before live and two I hadn't seen since the National Treasures gig. I'll say it quietly, but after years of moaning about Kevin Carter it turned out to be my highlight of the evening!

Having seen Suede very regularly over the past years I didn't feel like they worked quite as well at a big open air venue as they did in enclosed venues. And whilst I normally praise their set lists I thought they even more conservative than the Manics for sticking to the crowd pleasers - Albums 4,5,6&7 completely ignored and ten of their first thirteen singles performed.

Roll on Leeds tonight!
Old 13-07-2024, 10:25
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Leeds is the last of them headlining isn't it?
And a full YouTube video of their Dublin set. But given the controversy on here felt like throwing oil on fire.
I also love the two dates, break, two dates pattern the tour had.
Old 13-07-2024, 11:08
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
SPOILER: Tour Rehearsal setlist at Cardiff Tramshed (wish they'd play there properly on a tour)
Just catching up on this thread... so with three dates left of those seemingly rehearsed we've yet to Motown Junk, Faster, Ready for Drowning, 1985, Song for Departure, Some Kind of Nothingness and whatever it is between FDTW and Faster (looks to end in a H, although I can't work out what it could be - Suicide is Painless isn't on the list but has been played but the length of the word looks too long to be MASH).

Looks like they've got scope to throw in a few fan favourites that haven't surfaced yet.

Edit: Or I could have just scrolled to the second picture in the thread to see it was M.A.S.H. although as most it is done chronologically it really should have gone between the GT and GATS songs!)
Old 13-07-2024, 12:26
Knowlede Is Power

The advantage of being a Manics fan and a hiker is that I have all the waterproof gear for their outdoor gigs About to Gortex up and head to Leeds.......
Old 13-07-2024, 15:09
Winterlover

My days of attending half a dozen or more dates per tour are done so I’ve only attended two this time.

Once again I had an absolutely brilliant night, this time at the Manchester gig. Seen them in this city many times but this was a first at the Castlefield Bowl, and while the setlist was still very safe and predictable on the whole (especially when following a band like Suede), it was very lively and celebratory around me. Saw a lot of friends out throughout the day. Very tired today but worth it.
Old 13-07-2024, 22:41
Bored out of my mind

We got home from Leeds before Suede even came onstage tonight lol...tbh seeing them three times on this tour was enough but I couldn't miss the Manics when they're playing 20 minutes down the road from my house. So, we did barrier for this one (no risk of being accosted by Brett Anderson, hurrah!) then left.

Weirdly, even though James and Nicky seem to be suffering from the same lurgy as me and the setlist didn't change, this was the gig I enjoyed the most out of the ones we did on this tour. James was being quite chatty and funny, he apologised for bringing the weather from Wales and did a bit of Raindrops when it started throwing it down just for a change.

Extremely relieved this was our last gig on this tour, though, not least of all because I had two rather unpleasant encounters in Leeds today. One was with a Suede fan, who seemed to think it was necessary to revive the queue nazi bullshit from the early 2000s and didn't believe me when I said what time we joined the queue because she personally hadn't witnessed us arrive We'd already been there over an hour at that point and everyone was scattered all over the place with people just arriving and joining their group of friends, so there was no order to it anyway. And we were quite a bit behind this woman and her group so why she even cared or thought she had any authority over us, I've no idea. So, I will not miss sharing a queue or a barrier with Suede fans lolol.

Then after the Manics finished, I managed to get a setlist for once...something I don't even try to get these days, but MSPKYE likes a photo of them for the FD Twitter account. It wasn't possible to move through the crowd to ask for a photo of someone else's (which is what he normally does) because everyone was waiting for Suede to come on, so I asked James' guitar tech for one when he came down the left side of the stage and he went over to Nicky's side, found one then asked the security guard to pass it to me. MSPKYE took a photo of it, as can be seen here:

About 10 seconds later as we left the crowd to go home, a random woman about three rows back shouted something at me that I couldn't understand. I thought she was pissed off we were pushing through the crowd, so I just reassured her we were leaving. Next thing, she grabbed my arm and tried to snatch the setlist, but didn't get very far beyond tearing it in my hand and calling me a "silly bitch":

So...yeah, that was a pretty wild tantrum over a piece of paper! And hey, it might be ripped, but at least her efforts were unsuccessful and that's the main thing

I know there have always been asshats and drunk idiots, but there's something particularly feral about going to gigs these days. Like it doesn't feel very far away from trouble breaking out a lot of the time, even when you're just minding your own business enjoying the band you've paid a lot of money to see. I think it was the first song Suede did (when they were on first) at Llangollen where a fight broke out behind us as well. Such an unnecessary amount of hostility and aggression in some people over such trivial matters.

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 13-07-2024 at 22:58.
Old 14-07-2024, 05:57
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Sorry that happened to you. Ever since COVID, there was been an uptick in violence at Manics gigs. As with other collective events, people seem determined to enjoy the gig whatever way they want and give f all consideration to everyone else.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 14-07-2024, 08:36
Winterlover

That’s just awful conduct, sorry to read you experienced that, Abstract. I’ve witnessed some confrontational behaviour and aggressive entitlement at gigs over the years and it’s simply never acceptable.

The comment about gigs these days seems accurate. I have wondered if it’s just me getting older, being further back in crowds than I used to be, people’s behaviour after Covid/over time, or something else entirely, but I have noticed an increase in inconsiderate behaviour, ranging from yelling over entire gigs to unprovoked assaults. Makes all the difference when an audience is decent and respectful, even though that should be the norm!
Old 14-07-2024, 08:55
Bored of being bored

Suede fans are very passionate... but sometimes it borders into obsessiveness. I do wonder what the band think when every gig they do it's the same faces on the barrier with nobody else allowed close if they haven't obeyed the strict rules of their queuing system.

Gig behaviour definitely seems to be getting worse - at Manchester someone was dragged out of the crowd by security just as Suede were starting, last night I had a drunk woman bump into me throughout Suede's set and for goodness sake people, take a few photos but don't watch the gig through your phone - you're blocking the view of everyone behind you! And no, you don't have to whatsapp your crappy videos as soon as you've filmed them to all your friends and family!
Old 14-07-2024, 08:58
Bored of being bored

But anyway, Leeds was as fun as Manchester (if slightly wetter). Solid set (with the only change being a brief rendition of Raindrops) but with the quality of the songs and performance I came out buzzing again.

Random question - what's going on with James' guitars this tour. In Manchester he changed his guitar after the intro to MASH, last night he did the same halfway though ADFL (which I'm presuming were unplanned) and he seemed to have to retune four or five times mid song which I can't remember noticing him doing before. New guitar tech or something else wiesrd happening?