Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-08-2024, 12:40
Builder of routine

Happy Birthday Even In Exile!

Released this day 14 August 2020. I remember going to a silent and socially distanced HMV to buy my copy.
I had a listen to it before. And it not only stands up, I've forgotten beautiful stuff like Under The Mimosa Tree.
It was a superb collaboration between James Dean Bradfield and Patrick Jones.
It seems removed from the Manics official store. But there's probably still copies out in the wild.
Try and give it a listen. I was better adapted to Lockdown knowing I'd eventually hear the album. It didn't disappoint!
Old 14-08-2024, 20:56
I live to fall asleep

Thanks for this Son of Stopped.

I remember it well during lockdown here in Spain - it was a bolt from the blue for me. I still think "The Boy from the Plantation" is the best song from them (or any of them) since Your Love Alone? Lyric, music, and performance all perfect. Video is great too.

In typical Manics style I think James has rejected it a bit since (in an interview he said the next time he'd rather do a more pop or commercial type of solo record). Perhaps he felt the weight of the political context. I remember him working hard in some online interviews and podcasts around the time.

Still - my favourite "Manics" song and album since maybe Lifeblood. Definitely worth a re-listen.
Old 14-08-2024, 22:05
I live to fall asleep

I listened to this today funnily enough and even watched a few videos on Youtube. When the album came out it really got me through the lockdown period and I played it endlessly. Wonderful album, and seeing James with his beard at that time still looks weird to me haha!
Old 14-08-2024, 22:52
A self-made vacuum

For me, this album brings back horrible memories. I don't want to listen to it ever again.
Old 15-08-2024, 02:33
Bored of being bored

Absolutely flawless album. Still Love it.
Old 15-08-2024, 07:31
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Definitely in the top 6 Manics-related albums for me. It's a really coherent album where every track sounds part of a greater whole free from the need for a radio friendly unit shifter. Would have loved a few low key gigs for this.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 15-08-2024, 20:25
Winterlover

Even my old man surprised me by getting this one. Turns out he was quite knowledgeable about Víctor Jara so that prompted it.
Old 17-08-2024, 07:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Ahh the memories of having this on in the background while I was working from home or out on my government restricted 20 minutes exercise. I still come back to it frequently. Favourite is probably “The Last Song”.
Old 24-08-2024, 08:33
Bored of being bored

I'm quite a fan of this and still think its very underrated even better than his 1st outing and prefer it to the last 3 Manics LP's

Still to this day fudged off that he did not tour it with even a small amount of dates in late 2021 or 2022

Last edited by The Crow; 24-08-2024 at 08:36.
Old 28-08-2024, 09:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

I loved it in 2020, and still do today. The music was just sublime, an excellent work.

I haven't given it a full listening in a while besides selected tracks, so this week hope to delve back in. Musically beautiful, lyrically evocative, one of my favourite Manics or Manics related released in a long time.