Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old Today, 19:56
Winterlover

It's a pretty decent song but I don't even think it's his best Manics song. Wouldn't have been better with James singing it as it's very much a Wire song at its core. I can think of a few b-sides he's sung lead on that I much prefer.

Can't seem to find the album tracklisting on Apple Music even with my VPN on which is strange.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old Today, 19:58
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
I don't think anyone's said they want them to sound like The Holy Bible again, have they?
No, nobody has said that and nobody fucking wants that. And saying anybody who doesn’t like what the band is doing now does want that is the argument of an apologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
…something with the excitement, invention, restless creativity and occasional warts-and-all oddness of the Everything Must Go to Lifeblood era, echoed later in Rewind the Film and Futurology? That's what I'd like.
Precisely. Music that was intelligent, interesting, engaging, emotional and creatively vital. The thing that always defined Manic Street Preachers and the complete opposite of what these new songs represent.

Last edited by Mr Richey; Today at 20:04.
Old Today, 20:31
I live to fall asleep

Is this the song that Wayne's girlfriend is singing backing vocals on? Does that mean she'll be on Jools as well then?
Old Today, 20:39
I live to fall asleep

My issue is that they seem to still be writing stuff that is STILL somewhat Radio 2 orientated.

I think it's fantastic that there is a Nicky song as a single - but don't try to produce it then like a AI Manics song with all the guitar and strings and woos and all that shit. I can see James and Eringa sitting until 2 in the morning adding this overdub and that overdub etc etc. If you are trying to do something different with a Nicky vocal then commit to something lo-fi and alternative and different.

I don't know - I think the two songs are incredibly uninspiring. Definitely on PFAYM and RTF level of blah-ness.
Old Today, 21:01
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartek Wyre View Post
I mean c'mon, it's 2024, the 80s nostalgia thing is a dead fad. The 90s and 00s seem to be all the rage now baby! And this only proves that the Manics have lost their touch with the zeitgeist they had back in their early days when they sounded like whatever was fashionable. Now they just sound unfashionable.
I don't think they've been considered fashionable for a very long time And have they ever really tried to emulate what was fashionable? Even during THB era they were out of step with most of their peers, so I wouldn't say that was anything new. The later '90s was a bit different obviously, but I don't think they intentionally set out to be a part of the whole Britpop era, it felt more like convenient timing that they were able to take advantage of to me. Plus, do we really need them rehashing that decade again? They've already done enough navel gazing and anniversary editions/tours as it is, even before everyone else was cashing in on the nostalgia.

I think their battle has always been with themselves rather than trying to latch onto popular trends. A lot of their eras have been reactions to previous ones and to themselves, with varying degrees of success. It often seems like they get too in their heads about what they think the Manics are supposed to sound like. I thought it was interesting in that recent Mojo interview James said something about having a sense of freedom now and hoping they could go into the next album with more of that (as in the one after Critical Thinking), as it made me think perhaps they hadn't felt that same freedom before.

Anyway, to the new song...I'm surprised they've gone with a Nicky-led track as a single and that it's the second single that's presumably going to be a large focus of their Jools Holland appearance, a new video starring the actual band and the album announcement tomorrow. Whereas Decline and Fall just got a basic lyric video as the lead single (although I have actually heard it on the radio a few times recently). It feels a bit back to front to me, but hey ho.

Can't really say I've formed a strong opinion on the song itself yet after just one listen, but I can't help but miss James' voice on it and think I would have preferred it to be a duet between them.
Old Today, 21:12
Doors slowly closing

With his kind permission I have joined Son of Stopped on Manics Still Good Island. Not many of you seem interested in living here right now but hopefully one or two of you will feel like visiting again from time to time in the future.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
| I know our time has come and gone / At least we blazed a trail and shone |
| Yes I knew this thing would end / I did not know where or when |
Old Today, 21:26
I am purity, they call me perverted

Oh I'd fucking love to live there. I'm a Resistance is Futile apologist, I think that album had some great songs and pushed the 'Manics-by-numbers' sound to its boundaries. But neither of these have done anything for me. I might actually be at the point of listening to it on Spotify before actually stumping up cash, which will be the first time I've not bought a Manics album on purchase day for many years. But I really, really hope that the rest of the album is better. I've not given up, I'll go in with the "this is one of my favourite bands, I hope I'll get something from this" mindset. But... it's not looking positive just yet.
Old Today, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I shouldn't keep replying but I'm not enjoying trudging through Kafka's The Trial. Richey was not just a band member but a close friend who in one form or another ended their life. Not only do James, Nicky & Sean have to contend with losing a friend, they have also have to endure asking themselves what could've done differently that might have saved Richey from his demise. Every memory becomes an interrogation, a mirror telling you that you failed to prevent the obvious, when in reality people have control over the path they are walking down and ultimately responsible for themselves. Perhaps I'm talking more about myself here and using this in vain as therapy, but I'm not convinced this is miles away from how others might process these tragedies.
When I said that it's not a big deal I was meaning that the attention from him leaving is probably not what Richey wanted. It's obvious the band lost their friend and they respect him each time mentioning his name and writing in their songs, regardless if they feel it was their fault. As his friends they knew him quite well and in my opinion I think they have long accepted things as his choice a self autonomy and respect for his life, rather than attach blame. I wish the band could just continue to create more songs as they wish to without being brought down.

I really like the new videos, pictures and the new songs.
Old Today, 21:42
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
With his kind permission I have joined Son of Stopped on Manics Still Good Island. Not many of you seem interested in living here right now but hopefully one or two of you will feel like visiting again from time to time in the future.
* applies for citizenship *
Old Today, 21:46
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
* applies for citizenship *
You and anyone else! Just set your location to it and welcome free citizens of Manics Still Good Island!
EDIT: oh now I can post!
EDIT edit I'll hear it tomorrow
Old Today, 22:02

I'd love to be on Manics Still Good Island but I can't because I fell in love with the Manics because of their music and not because they're the Manics and my favourite band. If i'd piss on song when another band put it out it'd be hypocritical for me to not piss on a song just because it's the manics putting it out.

So to all those on Manics Still Good Island because ye really enjoy the music I'm super jealous of ye.

To anyone there just because it's the Manics....I'd hope there is noone there like that but I feel bad for ye.
Old Today, 22:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
I'd love to be on Manics Still Good Island but I can't because I fell in love with the Manics because of their music and not because they're the Manics and my favourite band. If i'd piss on song when another band put it out it'd be hypocritical for me to not piss on a song just because it's the manics putting it out.

So to all those on Manics Still Good Island because ye really enjoy the music I'm super jealous of ye.

To anyone there just because it's the Manics....I'd hope there is noone there like that but I feel bad for ye.
You never know, they might make something you like again and you could hop onto Manics Sometimes Good Peninsula….

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
| I know our time has come and gone / At least we blazed a trail and shone |
| Yes I knew this thing would end / I did not know where or when |
Old Today, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
You never know, they might make something you like again and you could hop onto Manics Sometimes Good Peninsula….
It's why I keep listening and hoping from the good ship 'Selected Manics are Amazing'
Old Today, 22:18
Doors slowly closing

Same old FD, never linking

https://open.spotify.com/track/5QGR8GjIITeiMgb3SDKETW
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)