Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 14-07-2024, 09:24
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post

I know there have always been asshats and drunk idiots, but there's something particularly feral about going to gigs these days. Like it doesn't feel very far away from trouble breaking out a lot of the time, even when you're just minding your own business enjoying the band you've paid a lot of money to see. I think it was the first song Suede did (when they were on first) at Llangollen where a fight broke out behind us as well. Such an unnecessary amount of hostility and aggression in some people over such trivial matters.
Sorry to hear about your experience. There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

I can relate to what you say about the atmosphere at gigs these days. I honestly don't know why some people bother going, as they do not seem to have any interest in the band they have paid so much to see. This is particularly the case at outdoor 'event' gigs I think. We moved 3 times before we found a spot we could enjoy the Manics from, in that we could actually hear them rather than the conversations of those around us, some of whom were standing with their backs to the band and just yakking.

Anyways, amusing story from last night. We were standing at the merch stall during the break, before Suede came on. Could not help eaves dropping on the conversation of the 4 people next to us. There were lots of eyebrow raising statements but at one point one of the chaps said he always thought Suede were Scouse, but he had just realised he had been getting them confused with Cast. in what world...????!!!!!
Old 15-07-2024, 18:44
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Random question - what's going on with James' guitars this tour. In Manchester he changed his guitar after the intro to MASH, last night he did the same halfway though ADFL (which I'm presuming were unplanned) and he seemed to have to retune four or five times mid song which I can't remember noticing him doing before. New guitar tech or something else wiesrd happening?
Could be the switch from guitars being stored somewhere warmer to them coming onto a colder outdoor stage - a change in temps like that could be causing the strings to contract, pulling them out of tune.
Old 15-07-2024, 19:31
Freed from the century

I went to the Leeds gig with friends. I did notice some impatiant people in the queue behind us as we went through bag checks, telling security to hurry up.We were a little way back. At the start some guys pushed their way in, almost knocked us over and then left after You Stole The sun. I had my waterproof on so the rain didn't bother me too much. Apart from that, i enjoyed it. Manics were solid, even with Nicky and JDB's colds. I like Suede anyway so i enjoyed them too.

Last edited by denton83; 16-07-2024 at 10:10.
Old 15-07-2024, 19:49
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
Could be the switch from guitars being stored somewhere warmer to them coming onto a colder outdoor stage - a change in temps like that could be causing the strings to contract, pulling them out of tune.
Ah, that makes sense - although I can't remember noticing Richard Oakes having the same issue (or seeing it at other outdoor shows I've been to). Does James use ridiculously high/low gauge strings or something silly like that?
Old 16-07-2024, 07:59
I am purity, they call me perverted

Was at Leeds - really enjoyable. Kinda strange stood in a massive queue filing past the old Leeds Town & Country Club where I first saw them 31 years to the month. Security coulda been better they took ages over 1 person with a bag that was too big to get into the venue, they shoulda just taken her to the side and carried on with the queue. Minor gripe aside though it was very enjoyable even despite the rain.

Bit weird seeing them in the daytime though. Don't think I've witnessed that before.

Suede as well were great. Finally got to see them after missing them at Reading 97 when I favoured The Boo Radleys instead.
Old 16-07-2024, 11:04

Does anyone have any pics or info on what t-shirts/merch are being sold at the shows?
Old 16-07-2024, 14:01
I live to fall asleep

I'm trying to still work out what is the great benefit to both bands in doing these co-headlining shows? Obviously it must be economics, but I'm still wondering. Is it just splitting costs - such as venues, roadies etc?
Old 17-07-2024, 09:07
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_found View Post
Does anyone have any pics or info on what t-shirts/merch are being sold at the shows?
There are seperate manics and suede shirts. Manics one has a leopard print heart.Then there are shirts with both bands on them and a Stay Beautiful Beautiful Ones t shirt. There's other stuff i can't remember.
Old 17-07-2024, 18:02
I live to fall asleep

Impossibly excited about tomorrow !! - look out for a
fat long haired weirdo wearing a du rag

It will probably be me
Old 17-07-2024, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by denton83 View Post
There are seperate manics and suede shirts. Manics one has a leopard print heart.Then there are shirts with both bands on them and a Stay Beautiful Beautiful Ones t shirt. There's other stuff i can't remember.
Thank you!
Old 17-07-2024, 23:18

The Leeds gig was great. I loved the set and seeing them outside I loved James' comments that they played the duchess, as they did knock it down with everything else. The rain was nice and the songs a singalong. It was nice to see the Anchoress too. They all sounded and looked amazing. I think the crowd were from different places though I didn't stay for all the Suede set but I enjoyed seeing them. I think the Manics love Suede!
Old 18-07-2024, 16:45
Born to end

Not sure we're going to make it tonight. Trains are screwed
Old 19-07-2024, 06:39
Bored of being bored

Had no interest in this tour at all, hated the venues and Ally Pally is awkward to get to and from and has a woeful PA system/atmosphere.

I see and we all know it is 20 yrs of Lifeblood and they managed to play 1 song from it which shows and proves alot about the material played barring a tour of an LP and of course the usual singles played more times than I've blinked. I would not have gone even if it was free
Old 19-07-2024, 07:18
Born to end

Well we dud make it despite the absolute mess of the trains. I actually thought it was a great venue with the London skyline in the background. Not a fan of being inside Ally Pally but I'd go to another outside gig there definitely

Compared to that rainy first night in Cardiff, I thought both bands were much better in London (I did enjoy Cardiff but the energy levels seemed higher last night) but this was Suedes night hands down. The crowd were mostly there for them and they owned it

I do love NSAF into Smashing Pumpkins though
Old 19-07-2024, 07:18
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Had no interest in this tour at all, hated the venues and Ally Pally is awkward to get to and from and has a woeful PA system/atmosphere.

I see and we all know it is 20 yrs of Lifeblood and they managed to play 1 song from it which shows and proves alot about the material played barring a tour of an LP and of course the usual singles played more times than I've blinked. I would not have gone even if it was free

Stop lying, I bet you were at the front row frothing at the mouth bursting with joy when the the sample for YSTSFMH started playing. We know what you're like!

Stand back, I have political powers!