Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-10-2014, 00:38
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
I met someone in a pun the other day who claimed his favourite manics track is My Guernica, so there you go.
Interesting. It's definitely not the song you'd expect to be the favourite of a random person.
Old 03-11-2014, 14:32
Born to end

It's their White Album. A complete mess that nearly ended the band, but all the better for it.
Old 03-11-2014, 14:43
Winterlover

I listened to this recently. I really wish they'd made it a shorter album of the raw rock songs and stuck the other stuff on an EP or something. Imagine an album of Found That Soul, Intravenous Agnostic, Dead Martyrs etc. That'd be a belter, on CD and live.
Old 03-11-2014, 21:31
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
I listened to this recently. I really wish they'd made it a shorter album of the raw rock songs and stuck the other stuff on an EP or something. Imagine an album of Found That Soul, Intravenous Agnostic, Dead Martyrs etc. That'd be a belter, on CD and live.
Can't decide whether I agree or not with this. I've often thought the same but the more I think about it, the more I love the album for the fact it's a bit of a mess. I have to admit I do love the middle section though - dead martyrs through to the convalescent. Can't immediately think of a better run of tracks on a manics album actually.
Old 04-11-2014, 00:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Totally agree and it would have followed on from well from Masses. After the success of the previous two albums and the Millennium Stadium gig, it could have been a chance for a back to basics, post punk album, not too dissimilar to Journal. The tantalising thing for me is that album is already there within KYE.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangular View Post
It's their White Album. A complete mess that nearly ended the band, but all the better for it.
Quote:
Between the album and its b-sides I'm sure there probably is two quite coherent albums in there but I love it for its mess. I can quite vividly remember my early listens of Know Your Enemy and finding it very fresh at the time, wasn't sure where they were going or what they were doing but I loved it anyway. Come to think of it, as much as a mess as it's widely recognised to be, I don't ever remember listening to it and thinking hmm this isn't flowing right. Kinda reminds me a bit of Wild Mood Swings by The Cure, from what I've read that album was supposed to be disjointed, it was about as far from The Cure by numbers as you can get, it's poppy, it's bleak, it's poppy, it's bleak. I don't know if Know Your Enemy is some kind of designer directionless piece, but it kinda just falls together for me, would like to see em do more of it live, they've only done five songs off it in 12 years. Sods.
Old 04-11-2014, 19:19

Quote:
The story goes that it was intended to be a double album but they bottled it. My main gripe with the mess of it is that the band think no one likes it because it's all over the place, and therefore they won't touch the gems. Remember the Blackburn gig, James said "See, even our own fans don't know this album".
I'd love them to do a reworked live version version of So Why So Sad, without the Beach Boys element to it. Super Furry Animals did it with a couple of their songs (Northern Lites being one) and it worked well.
Old 04-11-2014, 19:25
Freed from the century

Quote:
I like So Why So Sad, but imagine a live version with loud guitars, no backing vocals, and the stylophone part done with noise. MMM.
That'd be fucking amazing!

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 06-11-2014, 00:48

Quote:
I like So Why So Sad, but imagine a live version with loud guitars, no backing vocals, and the stylophone part done with noise. MMM.
Yeah was thinking of something along those lines. On a recent browse of Youtube I came across someone doing an acoustic cover of SWSS and although it was a little patchy, it gave a really different feel than the recorded version.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:06
Stretched out in the sun

Hmmm...I might just have a crack at that.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
They already had a go at that. It didn't end well.
Old 06-11-2014, 13:44
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Still a great album.
Old 06-11-2014, 15:05

I really love the album, So Why So Sad included, although I might swap a few tracks for one or two b sides. The White Album analogy isn't a bad one and the album is all the better for its length and diversity.
Old 06-11-2014, 17:26
Born to end

Wasn't to keen on KYE when first released but as the years have went by grown to love it now. 'Royal Correspondant' totally underrated one of my favourite manics songs.
Old 06-11-2014, 20:07
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by clash750 View Post
Wasn't to keen on KYE when first released but as the years have went by grown to love it now. 'Royal Correspondant' totally underrated one of my favourite manics songs.
Real marmite song. I either love it or loath it depending on my mood.