Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 01:18
Builder of routine

coats on the floor? they'd get battered..
Old 03-11-2010, 07:10
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Awww, no Future? Come on, I want full band version in Birmingham please.
Shush!

Glad it was a good evening had by all. Addicted to steroids eh James?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:23
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymozzy View Post
problem starting Autumnsong so james told us a joke; something like ' 1 manic walks into a bar and the other 2 walk under it'

That's Karen's joke she told me that years ago. Joke thief!

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 03-11-2010, 08:14
Under neon loneliness

Still hyper, if James is coming down from the steroids, he should try going to a Manics gig. Or something.

By my reckoning, last night I was actually the fourth oldest person at the barrier. Go oldies

The drive there was a bit hairy, but I stuck the soundtrack to Grease on and sang 'Hopelessly Devoted To You' twelve times. My voice is fucked now. The indoor queue was a lovely surprise, and everyone in the queue was in a great mood and friendly. I love Manics fans I got hugs from LoveMeToDeath, who is beautiful and lovely. Photos were taken. There was a real 'end of the tour' atmosphere, despite the rescheduled dates for Brum and Brixton.

BSP were on absolutely top form, and we got another varied setlist from them. There was lots of foliage, the gangly brother with the leather cap had foliage in his hat, and the more compact brother had foliage tucked into an armband. Abi wore her red shorts again. No Great Skua last night, which is my favourite, but it was a very muscular set. Noble (I think? The guitarist at the end of the stage) was doing handstands and stunts at the end of the set. He's adorable, I do love boys with guitars. I caved and bought a mug.

Manics were wonderful, I got teary during TIY, even worse during Golden Platitudes, and was full on crying by A Design For Life. It might look like a safe and predictable setlist, but I don't care, I loved and treasured every second of it. Nicky wore his black blazer and black jeans with a tee shirt in the first half, and a shirt and tie (tie worn 'inside out') with studs, in the second half. James was wearing a black shirt and black jeans. Both looked edible. Nicky stalked around the stage like a predatory heron, posed around gorgeously, and was even on fairly good behaviour when he introduced James before Motown Junk, not nearly as much trouser rummaging as in Newport. Sean was visible, and seemed to be in a happy mood.

Anyone any ideas on the intro to MJ? It sounded Queenish, but I couldn't pin it down.

I went to the tour bus after, but there were lots of unfamiliar faces there so I just hung back and watched the comedy as James fumbled his PIN for the security pad on the bus door, then started banging on the closed door. I'm sure they knew it was him, and were toying with him. Sean got on the bus before I got to it, the price I paid for stopping to get a BSP mug, Nicky didn't seem to be feeling sociable, I don't know if he came out later or not, but with a two hour journey ahead of me, I decided not to wait. James was lovely, as usual. with the fans. He's still wearing that hat He gave Kevin a hug too!

Thank you to BSP, MSP, and every fan who I've talked to this tour, especially Lindz who gave me her +1 for Newcastle, and Ade who put up with me being loco for five weeks. Nine gigs It's been immensely wonderful, the comedown will probably start later today, but I'm still on a huge, huge high.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:25
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Awe relic that is so lovely of you it was lovely to finally meet you, your review of the day has just brought a tear to my eye, I'm still pretty hyper but expecting the post tour depression to kick in soon

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

Relic i couldn't agree with you more, i know people haven't liked the setlists on this tour but i don't want anyone to take away how great they played last night. The sound was great and loved every minute of it. Managed to meet James and Sean and get some goods signed ill get some photos up this afternoon.

I believe the first part of the intro to Mj was ain't talking bout love by van halen.

Overall amazing!
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

https://linktr.ee/foreverdelayedmanics
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16
I live to fall asleep

That was probably my worst ever manics gig. Not because of the band, but the crowd were horrible and i didnt like the place at all. still in carlisle+ cant wait to get out!

"Life is a farce in which all must perform" ~ Arthur Rimbaud

Facebook

Twitter
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24

Aww Relic, reading your review of last night's gig just now made me a bit teary - it must be the post-gig depression setting in!

I didn't sleep much at all when I eventually got to bed in the early hours of this morning as I was trying to relive the gig but I'll just say it was well worth making the hairy trip down the A7 in atrocious weather conditions and I'm eternally grateful to my lovely hubby for agreeing to go on a "school night" - I felt sorry for him having to get up at 7am to go to work this morning, thank god I've taken the whole day off my work!

Forgot to say in my previous post what a lovely wee venue the Sands is - I was quite taken aback at their relaxed attitude to security on entering the venue, compared to other places, and also we got to keep the ticket stub which was unusual. But yep back to the coats on the floor thing, there were a couple of people round about who did that, I certainly wouldn't as the floor of a venue is usually soaking wet by the end of the night!

I'm now absolutely hooked on the Manics and will definitely be making a point of trying to see them again in the future.

I've uploaded my vid of Small Black Flowers onto youtube (sorry the picture quality isn't great - think I will have to purchase a new camera in the very near future! Just to add I'm not one of those annoying people who stand and video the entire gig but I like to try and record one song as a wee memento!). Hope you enjoy it anyway! xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQSYiIk7DI

Last edited by The Descent; 03-11-2010 at 10:26. Reason: forgot youtube link, d'oh!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush_my_bones View Post
That was probably my worst ever manics gig. Not because of the band, but the crowd were horrible and i didnt like the place at all. still in carlisle+ cant wait to get out!
Sorry you didn't like the venue, ah well each to their own!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19
Builder of routine

not their best but it's got Small Black Flowers.
Old 03-11-2010, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
I think these have probably become the worst setlists they've ever done.

After Nicky's promises of 'one song from every album' and 'we're gonna try to change the setlist every night' it's quite disappointing. I'm glad they're back on the road and everything but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the gig any longer.
The set has morphed into more of a greatest hits show since the tour started, with Sleepflower and Empty Souls gone and replaced with obvious favourites. Also, the first acoustic song is now the often-played Small Black Flowers as opposed to the more interesting stuff earlier in the tour.

As I predicted before the tour started; you need to see them in the first week or so to get stuff that later gets dropped.
Old 03-11-2010, 14:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
As I predicted before the tour started; you need to see them in the first week or so to get stuff that later gets dropped.
duly noted!
Old 03-11-2010, 14:11
Bored of being bored

Hopefully January will be a chance to spice it up
Old 03-11-2010, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
The set has morphed into more of a greatest hits show since the tour started, with Sleepflower and Empty Souls gone and replaced with obvious favourites. Also, the first acoustic song is now the often-played Small Black Flowers as opposed to the more interesting stuff earlier in the tour.

As someone new to the live Manics experience I feel I'm not in a position to criticise setlists but I will say I'm really happy that I was lucky enough to get to gigs at both the beginning and end of the tour - I've done a quick comparison of the Edinburgh and Carlisle setlists and see that there were 5 totally different songs, so I'm more than happy with that
Old 03-11-2010, 16:12
Knowlede Is Power

Great performance from MSP and BSP, however the crowd was th worst ive ever experienced at a Manics gig. It was such a big hall, it seemed some people were only there because that was the only thing on it Carlisle that night. I hate when people stand right down the front and refuse to move or allow people through to join in the jumping around. If people jumping around annoys you dont go right in the middle and get angry when you get pushed around-what do you expect. Would these people prefer if the crowd just stood motionless?? The atmosphere was terrible apart from the few people down the front middle.
FAvourite songs of the night were No Surface and This Is Yesterday

my old name