Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-05-2009, 14:44
Knowlede Is Power

Back when Richey was around though, probably a lot of fans would have agreed...now though, most of them have grown up, stopped taking themselves so seriously etc, so seeing this interview from WAY back then, he comes across a bit...well...y'know...
Old 17-05-2009, 15:19
Bored of being bored

but Richey some of your songs are hilarious!

oh...
Old 17-05-2009, 15:27
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
A bit narrow minded to say "Where ever we went, we stayed in our hotel rooms" isn't it? Not the attitude I'd come to expect from someone so intelligent anyway.
Who cares?

"So have you slept with hundreds of girls?

(Laughs) "Yeah. It’s just a way of ending the day."

That’s a pretty blasé attitude to have though isn’t it? ‘It’s just a way of ending the day’. To a lot of people that would be like you lucky b*****d, do you know what I mean?

"Yeah, but we’re all quite romantic people. And sex without love is just completely uninteresting." "
Oh Richey, that doesn't even make sense!

Last edited by Slideling; 17-05-2009 at 15:40.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:07
Desire on its knees

What you have to remember is that, particularly back at the time of GT, the Manics, and Richey in particular, very often said things for shock value. Partly to generate outrage and publicity, but equally as an intellectual exercise in playing devil's advocate.

I love these old interviews because I know that he saw them as being as much an artistic statement as the songs, albums videos etc...
Old 17-05-2009, 16:16
Builder of routine

No, I get it, it's just that the particular quote I put means nothing, because he says something and then says the opposite.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:17
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
A bit narrow minded to say "Where ever we went, we stayed in our hotel rooms" isn't it? Not the attitude I'd come to expect from someone so intelligent anyway.
'There's nothing I wanna see/ There's nowhere I wanna go'
Old 17-05-2009, 16:21
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Who cares?

"Yeah, but we’re all quite romantic people. And sex without love is just completely uninteresting." "
Oh Richey, that doesn't even make sense!
Makes sense to me, and I agree. Romance is what early manics were all about. Not to be confused with sentimentality or testosterone.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:24
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Pistoldinner View Post
What you have to remember is that, particularly back at the time of GT, the Manics, and Richey in particular, very often said things for shock value. Partly to generate outrage and publicity, but equally as an intellectual exercise in playing devil's advocate.
Completely. It with an intellectual game. 'The enemy advances, we retreat. The enemy camps, we harass. The enemy tires, we attack. The enemy retreats, we pursue.' Er, um, Mao... But I think the Manics have quoted that before.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:25
Builder of routine

Yeah but, if he actually believes in romantic love, that wasn't exactly showing with the previous quotes!
Old 17-05-2009, 16:34
Knowlede Is Power

It's difficult to know what he felt. Maybe to himself he saw themselves as romantic figures, yet when it came down to it he fell victim to the temptation groupies offered even if he felt he knew better. The way he coped with it was by being blaze and realistic that it happens all the time. He convinced himself it happened all the time so it was okay, wanting to believe that the real fans discussed lyrics and the groupies were just there for sex. In the same way as people view masturbation, often people don't like it at all and view it a meaningless, but end up doing it anyway. They feel guilty and so are blaze and joke about it. Richey finds the need to joke about the groupies being meaningless for both because he doesn't want to feel either guilty or happy in doing it.

In some interview when asked about whether he had considered if the Bangkok prostitutes might have been underage, it was apparent he hadn't. He clearly didn't like discussing that kind of thing, but at the same time did so to be controversial and self pitying. He had an incredible knack for turning himself into the victim when he wasn't. I found that interview quite dark really. Bless him.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:39
Knowlede Is Power

His version of romance was certainly very different to the generally held perception. He clearly wasn't romantic in the love sense, he just liked dark romantic imagery, words and symbolism. I think he meant that he didn't feel like 'a lucky b_____' because he wanted a meaningful relationship, and the groupies were meaningless to him, yet continued in a sordid way anyway. He was neither suitably moral to resist it or suitably unromantic to feel great about what was happening.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:40
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro8 View Post
he fell victim to the temptation groupies offered even if he felt he knew better.
Poor thing, getting layed.
Old 17-05-2009, 17:20
Knowlede Is Power

Some nasty stories knocking about on that subject though wasn't there?

I was always into the Manics for their music first, and image last. I've always adored James' songwriting.

This type of shit from Richey doesn't, and didn't help though, it's nonsense and from such an intelligent person it really does sound like soemone desperate for attention. Richey, because of what happened, gets put on a pedestal of sorts at times when in actual fact he was just a man, a man who had faults like every other.

Last edited by Tidus; 17-05-2009 at 17:23.
Old 17-05-2009, 17:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

This interview just proves why Nicky is so much cooler than Richey
Old 17-05-2009, 17:24
Builder of routine

Quote:
Some nasty stories knocking about on that subject though wasn't there?

I was always into the Manics for their music first, and image last. I've always adored James' songwriting.

This type of shit from Richey doesn't, and didn't help though, it's nonsense and from such an intelligent person it really does sound like soemone desperate for attention.
Really though, it was in 1992, when they were still inexperienced. I liked him more later.