Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-06-2011, 20:57
Bored out of my mind

'We've known the Manics for years, us!'

Ah well, a positive comment is always good whoever it is from I suppose!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 14-06-2011, 22:36
Stretched out in the sun

Lydon can fuck off. It's not about butter, it's about being a talentless cunt whose talentless band continue to garner praise and adoration they never deserved in the first place.
Old 14-06-2011, 23:08
Freed from the century

Now what if Nicky were doing butter commercials...

Oh christ.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 14-06-2011, 23:13
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Lydon can fuck off. It's not about butter, it's about being a talentless cunt whose talentless band continue to garner praise and adoration they never deserved in the first place.
Each to their own!
Old 14-06-2011, 23:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardsfromayoungman View Post
Each to their own!
The biggest crime the Sex Pistols ever committed wasn't making bad music, being unlikeable twats or even selling butter; it was giving the Americans a bad impression of punk music which led to Ramones records not being played on American radio, denying the Ramones the fame and praise they deserved.
Old 14-06-2011, 23:20
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
The biggest crime the Sex Pistols ever committed wasn't making bad music, being unlikeable twats or even selling butter; it was giving the Americans a bad impression of punk music which led to Ramones records not being played on American radio, denying the Ramones the fame and praise they deserved.
Aye, PiL were ace though.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 14-06-2011, 23:21
A self-made vacuum

PiL were/are fantastic and when Lydon isn't annoying, he is a very intelligent human being.
Old 14-06-2011, 23:21
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Aye, PiL were ace though.
PiL weren't responsible for sabotaging the Ramones career, so that's one thing in their favour.
Old 15-06-2011, 00:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Interesting concept but I don't know how much water it holds, the notoriety of the Sex Pistols certainly didn't stop The Clash from having a decent measure of success in the US.
Old 15-06-2011, 00:20
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Interesting concept but I don't know how much water it holds.
Here's two quotes I instantly thought of, but there are plenty more out there if you look for them;

"We had a lot of radio stations taking us off and rejecting us. We had a job offer at Notre Dame with Foreigner, and Notre Dame turned us down. We got pulled off stations after the Weekend show with the Sex Pistols. It had had nothing to do with us. We don't look or act like them. We weren't out to ruin the music business, there's room for everybody."

- Johnny Ramone, Rolling Stone magazine, February 1979

"The nature of the publicity the Sex Pistols got tainted the whole punk scene. People were wary of us like we were going to throw up problems, which we never did because we were very professional. But people were worried and scared of us."

- Tommy Ramone, Everett True interview, 2002

Also watch any Ramones documentary and you'll have the same story crop up; the behaviour of the Sex Pistols on stage and in interviews put the American radio stations off playing and encouraging punk music. Considering how brilliant and also "catchy" Ramones songs were during the period of their first 5 albums, they should've had at least a few number 1 singles. But they never had one. Ever. And it's because they got no radio play. And they got no radio play because of the reputation punk rock music developed due to the antics of the Sex Pistols.

Saying I just don't like the Pistols music is nothing more than an opinion; saying they ruined the success of the genre for bands like the Ramones is not an opinion. There's plenty of evidence to support it.
Old 15-06-2011, 00:27

Quote:

Saying I just don't like the Pistols music is nothing more than an opinion; saying they ruined the success of the genre for bands like the Ramones is not an opinion. There's plenty of evidence to support it.
As I mentioned previously, how do you explain the success of The Clash in the US then?
Old 15-06-2011, 00:33
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
As I mentioned previously, how do you explain the success of The Clash in the US then?
I'm not trying to explain the success of The Clash in the US. I'm explaining how the Ramones success was hindered by the reputation the Sex Pistols created for punk music. Maybe it's because The Clash were never purely punk; they incorporated stuff like reggae, country, dub and balladry. One of the things that makes London Calling such a cool record. So perhaps they didn't suffer from being labelled as a punk band. I'd have to look into that more but like I said, it's off the point I'm trying to make.

It makes even less sense though when you consider that "White Riot" is a blatant Ramones rip-off. Even Joe Strummer cited the Ramones as a massive influence. So why was "White Riot" quite a big underground hit in the US? I don't have all the answers mate, I only know that I hate the Sex Pistols and the effect they had on the Ramones is just one reason why.
Old 15-06-2011, 00:36
Stretched out in the sun

But the Ramones got huge audiences in the UK because of the sex pistols. They themselves were astonished at the reception they recieved.
Old 15-06-2011, 00:43
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Noir View Post
But the Ramones got huge audiences in the UK because of the sex pistols. They themselves were astonished at the reception they recieved.
True. The first time the Ramones played in London (1976), members of The Clash and the Sex Pistols were in the audience - at which point neither band had released a single record.

Last edited by Mr Richey; 15-06-2011 at 00:47.
Old 15-06-2011, 00:47

Quote:
I'm not trying to explain the success of The Clash in the US. I'm explaining how the Ramones success was hindered by the reputation the Sex Pistols created for punk music. Maybe it's because The Clash were never purely punk; they incorporated stuff like reggae, country, dub and balladry. One of the things that makes London Calling such a cool record. So perhaps they didn't suffer from being labelled as a punk band. I'd have to look into that more but like I said, it's off the point I'm trying to make.

It makes even less sense though when you consider that "White Riot" is a blatant Ramones rip-off. Even Joe Strummer cited the Ramones as a massive influence. So why was "White Riot" quite a big underground hit in the US? I don't have all the answers mate, I only know that I hate the Sex Pistols and the effect they had on the Ramones is just one reason why.
I think it had far more to do with Sire (as well as the dysfunction of the band itself) than it ever had to do with the Sex Pistols.